Day Two: Carnesale Attends Ivy Meeting

Rudenstine Rests at Home, Harvard Says

By Nan Zheng

On his first full day as acting president of Harvard, Provost Albert Carnesale assumed the duties of Neil I. Rudenstine and presided over a meeting of Ivy League presidents.

Carnesale said in a phone interview last night that while the presidents who came to Boston for the meeting mainly discussed Ivy League athletics, they also expressed concern over Rudenstine's condition.

"I gave them a description of President Rudenstine's condition," Carnesale said. "He is clearly feeling better because he is getting some rest."

Rudenstine, whose decision to take a medical leave of absence was announced on Monday, is currently resting in his Cambridge home, according to University officials.

Rudenstine has not appeared in public this week, and his only statement in the past 48 hours was released through the Harvard News Office. Efforts to reach him at his home have been unsuccessful.

His medical spokesperson, Dean of the Medical School Dr. Daniel C. Tosteson '46, said in a statement Monday that he president was "suffering from severe fatigue and exhaustion of unknown origin" and will be on leave "for a matter of weeks or longer."

There was no update on Rudenstine's condition yesterday. But that did not stop professors, staff and students all over campus from speculating wildly about the nature of president's illness.

Carnesale said yesterday was the first day he had not visited Rudenstine's home since the president told him last Wednesday of his decision to take a leave.

After the Ivy League meeting, Carnesale said he attended a Tanner lecture on human values and subsequently attends a dinner.

"They are events I would have attended anyway," Carnesale said. "But the most important thing [as the acting president] is that I bear a different degree of responsibility."

Carnesale, who assumed the position of provost on July 1, also serves as the acting dean of the Kennedy School of Government.

To carry out the duties of the three important posts, Carnesale said he expects to garner support from a variety of sources.

"I have no misconception that I'm a superman," Carnesale said. "My intention and expectation are to be looking for and acquiring help and assistance."

Carnesale said that while his daily schedule would not were significantly busier in the short term, as president he will be more accountable than a provost will.

"There will be additional responsibilities and more things where I have to make the decisions and meet with individuals or groups where ordinary I would not have done," Carnesale said.

Later this week, Carnesale will co-host the inauguration of the Center for Latin American studies and will chair the Board of Overseers meeting this Sunday.

Carnesale said he intends to keep close contact with Rudenstine during his absence.

"I will certainly be seeking his counsel and advice," Carnesale said. "But we want to make sure that the extent to which he is involved is consistent with his rest and his being able to undergo the test."

University officials expressed confidence in Harvard's condition during its president's absence. Sources inside and outside the University said they don't believe the leave will impact the University's $2.1 billion capital campaign, an effort to which Rudenstine devoted much of his time.

Charlotte P. Armstrong, a member of the Board of overseers, said Rudenstine's absence will be a mere "temporary hiccup" to the campaign.

"So much of the important work has already been done," Armstrong said. "Potential donors won't be able to have direct access to the president for a while, but the campaign will go on its own momentum.

Jane H. Corlette director of governmental relations for health policy, said the fund drive would not suffer because of Rudenstine's absence. Carnesale will be an effective force behind the effort, Corlette said.

"I have every confidence in Mr. Carnesale and I'm sure there will be many who are willing to help Carnesale in his role," Corlette said. "There are many other people who are involved in this and are willing to step in."

Others said that yesterday they are confident in Carnesale's abilities to fulfill the president's duties.

Armstrong said the administration will be affected minimally by Rudenstine's leave and that Carnesale is the best person to take over the role of the president.

"Carnesale is a very strong leader and holds the next highest position in the University's Armstrong said. "It would be very disruptive if it were anybody else."

Fred I. Glimp '50, vice president for alumni affairs and development, said Carnesale would effectively run Harvard despite his short term as a University-wide official.

"It's more talent than the pile of experience," Glimp said. "He's an excellent man for the job."

Reardon said Carnesale's role as dean of the Kennedy School is sufficient preparation for leading the University.

"Al is an enormously effective person and there are a lot of people he has who are ready to work with him and support him," Reardon said. "The institution is very fortunate to have someone as well prepared as he is."

Jonathan N. Axelrod contributed to the reporting of this story.Crimson File PhotoPresident NEIL L. RUDENSTINE