Gregoire to Challenge Master On Winthrop Decoration Policy

By Robin J. Stamm

Undergraduate Council Vice President Brandon C. Gregoire '95 said yesterday he will file a complaint against Winthrop House Master Paul D. Hanson for his handling of a house meeting over holiday decorations.

Hanson called the meeting after the house committee approved a new policy on holiday decorations in a sparsely-attended meeting last week. The new policy would set up a house fund which students could use to purchase the house decorations of their choice.

Gregoire said he will lodge an official complaint today with the offices of the dean of students and the dean of the College. Hanson should not have scheduled a meeting to question the house committee's decision, he said.

At the meeting, however, Hanson and those students and tutors present praised the house committee's new policy for its fairness.

Hanson said the recent house committee decision on holiday decoration seemed "completely fair-minded to me."

He called the meeting because he saw "unclarity" as to whether the new policy was finalized, he said, adding that he was very pleased that the committee's decision was upheld. He earlier said that house administrators called the meeting after the tutor in charge of diversity brought the new policy to their attention.

"I feel it is my duty to call an open meeting for the community to gather and discuss," Hanson said.

House committee co-chair Kristen M. Galanek '96 said that although she supports the meeting's outcome, she doesn't understand why it was called in the first place.

"I personally felt that we had come to a decision and adequately publicized it," she said. "I felt the policy was decided at that point."

She said two Jewish students who had filed complaints last year about the house Christmas tree attended this year's house committee meeting and approved of the new policy.

Galanek also said she is troubled by Hanson's decision to call the meeting before gaining the approval of the house committee to sponsor an open forum. She said the house newsletter, which said the house committee had called the meeting, was inaccurate.

Galanek said she wasn't notified of the meeting at all until yesterday. Galanek said that when she heard about the meeting, she thought, "Wait, I'm the house chair and I didn't sanction it."

"Hanson said he had to make the decision fast," she said.

The house committee fund will now be available for "any group that comes forward to decorate for the holiday, but specifically a menorah and Christmas tree," said committee co-chair Sean N. Harte '95-'96.

The main concern is that the holiday decoration policy be fair, Harte said.

Gregoire said Hanson "continued to press the issue" of whether a Christmas tree was offensive when everyone present agreed with the committee policy and the decision to have a tree in the dining hall.

The house chairs agreed that Hanson's question should have included all religions.

"If you're really going to tackle the issue, you should ask if any holiday symbols are offensive," Galanek said. "The topic was holiday decorations, not the Christmas tree."

"I don't think he meant it that way. I hope he didn't," Harte said. "I appreciate the fact that they are so concerned with how students feel."

Harte would not comment on Gregoire's decision to file a complaint against Hanson.

Gregoire and sources inside the house alleged that Hanson was using his power over funds for the upcoming house formal to manipulate house policy on the holiday decorations.

Hanson granted money for the house formal right before the meeting, prompting speculation that the house master was making the formal grant contingent on the house committee acceding to his wishes on the holiday decorations.

Harte dismissed that speculation. "That's not true," he said. "I would not think anyone would do that--especially a master."

Galanek said funds for the formal were still being worked out last night. She would not confirm rumors of manipulation by Hanson.

"I think that is only speculations," Galanek said. "It worked out that today right before was a meeting about formal funds. I cannot speak of Hanson's motivations but it seems to be coincidental."