Preserve Multiculturalism

TO THE EDITORS

We are writing in response to the guest commentary "Erring in the Name of Multiculturalism" (Feb. 25, 1994). In their editorial Mr. Lanzo and Mr. Sterling claim that the "ethnocentrism" of an Ethnic Studies department "threatens to lead us into an abyss of academic separatism" and that "we should incorporate multiple perspectives into a coherent whole."

We should not only like to refute their argument, but to reject the framework from within which these authors have chosen to work. Audre Lorde wrote in Sister Outsider that "the master's tools will never dismantle the master's house." In this spirit, working from the immediate ideal of incorporating minority experiences within race-blind departments will only subsume these very real and academically viable experiences as unworthy of educational specialization.

Mr. Lanzo and Mr. Sterling's actual arguments also lack factual support. They supposedly correct the definition of multiculturalism by stating it "is the inclusion and integration of noteworthy individuals and groups...into a common curriculum."

This is indeed a purpose of an Ethnic Studies department, and a necessary result.

One danger of this attitude can be seen by asking, would one East Asian Studies professor in a history department suffice the needs of someone interested in pursuing a degree or even learning beyond basic information?

Yet by denying a unique and academically important minority contribution in America is comparable to combining East Asian studies, Middle Eastern Studies and Russian Studies into "World Studies."

Mr. Lanzo and Mr. Sterling also call for the dismantling of Harvard's Afro-American Studies program, despite the fact it is "among the best--if not the best--in the nation." Once again the facts refute their theories.

One must admit that some part of the strength of the program is derived from the department itself. The authors write this strength was gained "through a string of faculty recruitments," which would probably not have been successful had potential professors been asked to deprioritize their specific field under another, broader department.

By making the dangerous argument that "We are not Americans with a hyphen; rather, we are all Americans," this viewpoint ignores what we hold to be the very foundation of American ideals: the celebration of individuals from different backgrounds who have all had an impact on shaping of our common history.

Ethnic Studies is not divisive, nor is it "defined by race." And yes, Mr. Lanzo and Mr. Sterling, this definitely "flies in the face of the image of America as a melting pot." We are not a society which is gradually moving towards blending into a colorless, faceless mass, but a multiperspective, and yes, multicultural society with unique historical determinations and distinctions. --Jennifer Ching '96, co-president   Alex Cho '96, co-president   Steve Lim '97, vice-president   Irene Cheng '97   Veronica Jung '97   Asian American Association,   Steering Committee