"Virtual Heart Failure"

On the John

By John C. Ausiello

A failing heart claimed yet another sports hero in his prime.

Evander Holyfield, the former heavyweight champion of the world, opted to retire on Tuesday after receiving the news from his doctors that he has a "non-compliant left ventricle" in his heart.

Unfortunately, even in this day of advanced medical care, Holyfield's condition is not unusual. Every year we hear of another athlete stricken with a heart condition.

But what is utterly amazing, and seemingly incomprehensible, was Holyfield's ability to fight last Friday night.

His doctors referred to his condition as "virtual heart failure." Amazing.

The man endured twelve rounds of abuse without a properly-beating heart. The man danced around the ring and got beat on by another man, all with a failing heart.

Boxing is not your average form of exercise. It's not a walk around the block with the family dog or a round of 18 holes of golf with some friends. It's arguably the most grueling form of exercise known to man.

And Holyfield went the distance, despite suffering from "virtual heart failure."

Absolutely amazing.

Speaking of absolutely amazing, what about Patrick Roy? The Bruins should have won this series in four, maybe five games.

That, of course, is assuming the Canadians had a mere mortal in net. They do not, and once again the "Habs" may find another way to win, despite inferior talent.

It's frustrating. As a hockey fan, I tip my hat to Roy. As a Bruins fan, I load my gun.

Here's one from the utterly absurd. The Atlanta Braves earlier this week lost four games in a row. (That's a good week for the Minnesota Twins or the Chicago Cubs).

Surprising? Sure. But not alarming. Teams are going to go through streaks--it's natural.

But since it was the previously 13-1 Braves, people began to ask questions. Are they not as good? Will they struggle?

In yesterday's Boston Globe there was an article related to this matter.

Totally absurd. All the streak means is that the Braves will win 110 games instead of 114. They might only have two Cy Young candidates instead of three.

It seems that people have overreacted just a bit. Thank God no one does that in Boston concerning the Red Sox.

It's a sad time in Beantown when Celtics fans must start thinking about ping pong balls.

To think, the once great and forever proud Celtics are now lumped in the same category as the Mavericks and Clippers.

But do not despair. The lottery will work out. Trust me.

Red Auerbach is working on his last great move. Forget about the talk of "rabbit" baseballs. The ping pong balls are weighted. I know it's true.

Auerbach will find a way to have the Celtics' combination pulled. And in a last-second decision, Glenn Robinson will turn pro.

The Celtics will have their man, and the fans can start looking forward to banner 17.

Wishful thinking? Maybe, but the again, that's Boston's second-