F***ED UP

Totally F***ed Up directed by Gregg Araki at the Harvard Film Archive January 20-26 One of over 20 films in the HFA's Mid-Winter Queer Film Fest, January 13-26

By Roland Tan

If your reaction to a film about gay teens is, "More teen angst," or, "Another homo movie," director Gregg Araki has beat you to it. Araki uses those same words in the introductory captions to his "Totally F***ed Up," an unusual film about six young gay friends in Los Angeles.

By examing themes close to the hearts of many teenagers--as one character puts it, "Bigotry, sexism, Jesus, homophobia, stupidity, violence, spiritual bullshit, making money"--the film demonstrates that, gay or straight, all teenagers face similar problems.

Though its cast of Blacks, Hispanics and Caucasians approaches terminal P.C., "Totally F***ed Up" is never trite. Araki's multiracial cast shows that homosexuality is not just a "white male thing." Even so, the movie is ultimately about the need to understand the issues that confront gay teenagers today--and not about race.

Beginning with random fragments out of the lives of these teens, Araki creates a clear picture of who they are and establishes an immediate sympathy between the audience and the characters.

Andy (James Duval), whose motto appears to be, "Life is shit," meets and is courted by Ian (Alan Boyce). Meanwhile, Steven (Gilbert Luna), an aspiring filmmaker, and his intense artist boyfriend, Deric (Lance May), spend their time avoiding the suspicious gaze of Deric's parents.

Horny skater-dude Tommy (Roko Belic) fantasizes constantly and has a lot to say about masturbation. Rounding out the sextet, the hip lesbians Michele (Susan Behshid) and Tricia (Jenee Gill) plot schemes for having a baby, even throwing an insemination party to collect sperm.

Inspired by the disproportionately high rate of suicide among gay teens, "Totally F***ed Up" carries a strong political message. Disturbing, explicit moments abound. When Andy meets Ian for the first time, a woman is screaming hysterically in the background. The sense of being caught in a painful, twisted world is inescapable. Or maybe that's just the way life is over in Los Angeles.

As Steven says, "I want to show the way things are." To this effect, Araki intersperses the narrative with "Reality Bites"-style video fragments recorded by Steven. These sound bites collectively show the variety of gay experience and warn against the dangers of stereotyping.

Humor punctuates the politics--the film never becomes didactic. Tricia opines on AIDS, "It's a born-again Nazi-Republican wet dream come true." And when Tom Cruise comes up during a conversation about sexual fantasies, Araki cuts to the caption: "Tom Cruise: Rock Hudson of the 90s."

Araki shot the movie on location, with no permits and a minimal crew. The gritty starkness of the scenes gives the movie a sincere, authentic feel. When the six friends go out to a nightclub, Araki uses the dim, reddish lights, loud generic music and their encounter with two guys in drag to convey the raw alienation of the kids.

With the authority and impact of a documentary (though Araki did not intend it to be one), "Totally F***ed Up" tells us that the world we live in is an eminently depressing one. But its irreverence and sharp dialogue keep the film light-hearted enough that we don't get put off by the sobriety of Araki's message.

Surprisingly enough, none of the actors were paid and only one of the six leads is gay off-screen. Considering the fairly explicit content of the movie, their willingness to take on such roles for no pay is perhaps indication that the "born-again Nazi-Republican dream" is finally coming to an end.