Memorial Church Bell Computer Overloads

By Mari M. Calder

Residents of Canaday Hall will no longer be plagued by fire alarms at obscene hours.

The alarm system--which malfunctioned repeatedly last weekend, rivaling the bells of Memorial Church as a source of early-morning angst--was fixed on Friday afternoon, according to Danny K. Wong, manager of electrical engineering and utilities.

"There was a problem in the wiring, but the system is now fully operational," Wong said.

By this week, the alarm had become notorious among Canaday residents.

"It was unbelievably high-pitched, and has been such an inconvenience," said Carolyn Nguyen '99.

"Do you want a comment [on the alarm] that you can print?" asked Jon G. Seavey '99.

In the face of adversity, some residents turned to humor. Several student posters sprang up, parodying the official posters that announced times that the alarm system would be tested.

"From the Hahvahd Faculty of Drills and Annoyances," one poster read.

Upon hearing that the alarms would no longer go off, a few students spoke of the ear-piercing sound with nostalgia.

"It was just another excuse not to do my Ec. homework," said Chad L. Wolfe '99. "I would've gone to the library, but I was afraid I'd get run over by a speeding fire truck"