Atwood Reads Poetry

By Rachel C. Telegen

Approximately 250 people braved overcast skies to attend a poetry reading featuring writers Margaret Atwood and William Matthews yesterday afternoon at the Brattle Theater.

The two authors combined selections from their most recent collections of poetry with a running commentary on their work and the process of creative writing.

Atwood's selections were drawn from her new work, Morning in the Burned House, her first volume of poetry in 10 years.

After reading a number of poems including, "In the Secular Night" and "Cell," Atwood said that many of the other poems in her book have a lighter tone.

"I read the depressing ones at the beginning," Atwood said. "If I was really pessimistic, I would read them at the end."

Atwood, who is better know, or her novels, said she found differences between writing poetry and prose.

"For poetry, you need a lot of nothingness, of vacancy in your life. It means a lot of looking out of the window, which drives people crazy, because it looks like you are not doing anything," said Atwood, who also told the audience that part of her novel, The Handmaid's Tale, had been set in the Brattle Theater.

While introducing a poem from his book, Time and Money, Matthews said that the intent of the author is not always pure.

"The two motives for writing are rage and perversity, motives which you aren't allowed to mention at the dinner table," he said.

Matthews's poetry reading included "My Father's Body," set in a crematorium during the funeral of the author's father and "Last Words," which compiled the final words and phrases of famous men and women.

The readings were followed by an open question and answer session and a book signing.

The event was sponsored by WordsWorth Books as part of a three-month reading series