M. Golf Finishes First in ECAC Qualifier

Defending Champ Crimson Surprises Nobody This Time, Still Defeates Eveyone

By Jill L. Brenner and David S. Griffel

One year ago, the Harvard men's golf team took 19 other schools by surprise in a massive upsct victory at the ECAC Tournament.

Yesterday, the quest to defend that title began. And this time, Harvard wasn't going to take anyone by surprise.

No problem--the Crimson still coasted to an easy victory at the ECAC qualifying round at Methuen, Mass. with a four-man team score of 298. Harvard cruised by second-place New Hampshire (302) and beat Dartmouth--a squad it felt would give it the most trouble in the whole ECAC competition--by a decisive eight strokes.

The top three finishers yesterday--the Crimson, the Wildcats and the Big Green--will compete next weekend in the real deal, held at the Yahnundasis course in New Hartford, N.Y.

"We sensed that the greatest competition in the tournament would come from Dartmouth," co-captain Jun Choo said. "Our score kind of made a statement to Dartmouth."

Co-captain Joel Radtke gave Harvard he boost it needed, finishing first overall by shooting a par 71. Choo tied for fifth with a 74, and sophomore Alex Gonzales (76) and junior Luis Sanchez (77) rounded out the four scores that counted. Junior Ed Boyda also shot a 79.

"They all went in feeling good and played well," coach Bob Leonard said. "Obviously I'm very happy for the kids."

Harvard had everything working for it yesterday, even the weather. While one might think that dark, drizzly weather is as beneficial to a golfer as Dan Dierdorf is to Monday Night Football, the players said that the wet conditions helped them out.

"The weather made it easier--it softened up the greens and the fairways," Choo said. "The only problem was keeping the clubs dry--that was a nuisance."

A nuisance that Harvard would take any day, so long as it posts scores like it did yesterday.

However, the Crimson's domination was not unexpected. After losing only one player to graduation, the Crimson knew its chances of winning the title were high.

Radtke's play ensured that.

"I'd actually been playing well in practice all this week," Radtke said. "I started out the round and was hitting the ball well, but more importantly, I was putting well."

If anything, the Crimson's win yesterday proved that it can overcome adversity and pressure. The Crimson's victory allowed it to regain the momentum that it lost in its disappointing third-place finish at the Wildcat Invitational two weeks ago.

"That had us questioning ourselves," Radtke said. "The important thing [about qualifying] is that we went out there favored to win, and we won."

As the Crimson looks ahead to next weekend's ECACs, its days of underdog status are now over.

"It's encouraging to know that we're shooting good numbers," Boyda said. "I think that if we all shoot well, then we'll have a good shot at winning the ECACs."