Crimson Finds Acres of Ice in New Towse Arena

By Bradford E. Miller, Special to The Crimson

DURHAM, N.H.--When the Harvard men's hockey team travels to take on road opponents, it often has to deal with loud student sections, flying decreased aquatic life and traffic jammed bus rides.

In last night's road match at the University of New Hampshire, the Crimson had to deal with ALL of the above, plus an ice surface larger and different from any if has seen or will see this year.

The newly furbished Towse Arena in Durham, N.H. boasts an amazingly well-it interior to accompany the Olympic-sized surface of 200' by 100.' In comparison, Bright Hockey Center is only 204' by 87.'

But just how would the unfamiliar ice surface affect the Crimson?

In the first period and a half, the New Hampshire forwards exploited the large surface with the superb stick-handling of the second line, most notably of Mark Mowers and Eric Nickulas.

However, there was one instance in which Harvard made the most of the extra ice--Tommy Holmes used the additional space after intercepting a pass, as he went two thirds of the rink and scored his second shorthanded goal of the year (an 'Harvard's fifth).

But UNH did more with it the rest of the period. New Hampshire tied up the game at one using every area of the rink. Harvard's shorthanded unit was forced to be content with staying back on its defensive zone and allowing the Wildcat defensemen to set up at will.

"The surface was a little harder... we're used to more close quarters, and there were times when we really had more time than we thought," captain Brad Konik said.

"I thought we drifted a little bit more in the second period," coach Ronn Tomassoni said. "UNH is a good-skating, quick team."

Harvard's best chance to exploit the extra space came in the third period on a rare four-on-four situation. The Crimson did not let such an opportunity pass it by. Jason Karmanos followed up on a Henry Higdon wrap around shot to tie the game at two.

With less than two minutes left, the ice surface worked to Harvard's advantage once more. Again on the shorthanded unit, Holmes streaked up the ice accompanied by Jason Karmanos on a two-on-one break, only to be stuffed by Wildcat goaltender Trent Cavicchi. New Hampshire seemed to be on the defensive for many rushes late in the third period, as the speedy Crimson forcheckers constantly provided the pressure.

"It was mentally tough at first." Konik said. "But eventually we adjust d."

However, with 17 seconds left in the game and the score tied at two the key break for the Wildcats. Nickulas sped up the right side of the ice and appeared to beat defenseman Peter McLaughlin. Nickulas fell to the ice and McLaughlin was called for holding. This saved the one extra power play New Hampshire needed, and ice surface or not, Harvard had to leave town with a heartbreaking loss.