Minority Magazine Founded

Diversity and Distinction Targets Broader Community

By Evan Osnos

Identifying a "void" in campus publications thus far, Diversity and Distinction Co-founder Michael M. Luo '98 told magazine recruits last night that the new publication will address the minority community "as a whole."

According to a letter from its founders to interested students, Diversity and Distinction is "designed to address the entire Harvard student body on issues of multiculturalism and diversity."

"We're talking about not just ethnic minorities, but gays, lesbians, and the handicapped," said Luo, who is also a Crimson editor.

Unlike other existing campus publications, which limit their focuses to specific minority and ethnic groups, Diversity and Distinction will attempt to unify the many minority voices on campus within one forum, Co-founder Carl L. Engstrom '98 said.

"The people that read [existing minority publications] tend to be within those groups," Luo said. He added that he hoped Diversity and Distinction would "speak to a broader audience."

Despite its magazine format, the new publication will emphasize "hard news" and "in-depth feature" articles, and will include fewer literary pieces than other minority publications, said Luo.

Issues that will be addressed in the early editions of the magazine include: affirmative action, welfare, Harvard's Native American program, and "the unique difficulties faced by ethnic or racial actors and actresses, bi-racial students at Harvard."

"A typical package might combine and article about what's going on nationally with affirmative action, Harvard's history with affirmative action and the Supreme Court, a point-counterpoint, and may be a personal essay," the letter stated.

The first steps in establishing the publication have already been taken, said Luo.

Faculty advisers to the magazine will be Professor of Sociology Mary C. Waters and Thomson Professor of Government Martin L. Kilson.

The magazine has also begun to accrue funding from the Harvard Foundation for Intercultural and Race Relations and the office of the Dean of Students.

Other possible contributors include Harvard Student Agencies and the Undergraduate Council.

The magazine has also been officially sponsored by the Minority Students' Alliance.

"It's kind of been snowballing. We received official recognition from the university last week and other groups have pledged their support," Luo said. "Rightnow cost is the big thing."

Funding for the magazine will come fromadvertisements, grants and individualcontributions, Luo said.

The format and frequency of the magazine willlargely depend on funding, according to Luo andEngstrom.

Current plans are for a magazine formatresembling the Harvard International Review--butthe costs of producing a full-size glossy magazinemight limit the frequency of publication.

"If we go with the magazine format the best wecould do is quarterly," said Luo. "In the future Iwould like to go monthly and maybe evenbi-weekly."

Engstrom said he hopes that the magazine willhave an extraordinary impact on the Harvardcommunity. "People may agree or disagree, but atleast they will think and it might challenge theirbeliefs.