Bhutto Gives $100K to Islamic Studies Center

Endowment Must Be Used to Fund Law School Activities Relating Directly to Pakistan

By Nate Barksdale

Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto '73 has given a $100,000 permanent endowment to the Center for Islamic Studies at Harvard Law School (HLS), the Law School news office said yesterday.

The endowment, given jointly by Bhutto and the government of Pakistan, will be used to fund student fellowships, conferences, and visiting fellows from Pakistan, according to Center Director Frank E. Vogel.

"There is an alternate view of Islam that needs to be projected," said Rifaad Hussain, minister of information for the Pakistani Embassy in Washington, D.C. "[Pakistan's gift] will help create bridges of understanding."

Vogel said that Bhutto and the Pakistani government were approached for the endowment as part of a campaign to give the center international support.

"Pakistan is outside the Middle East, and represents the part of the Muslim world where most Muslims live," Vogel said.

Although the Center for Islamic Legal studies is still being formed, Vogel said that Pakistan's gift will be used immediately.

The endowment will fund programs to be implemented as early as next year, he said.

The only stipulation for the gift is that it be used to fund activities relating directly to Pakistan. The Center's Director and the Dean of HLS will oversee distribution of the endowment's proceeds.

Hussain said he hopes the endowment will highlight Pakistan's non-Arab perspective on Islam, and further distinguish it as unique among South Asian countries.

The Center for Islamic Legal Studies is being created by the Law School to advance knowledge and understanding of Islamic Law, embracing both Muslim and non-Muslim perspectives, according to its statement of objectives and principles.

The Center has received more than $8 million in funding, including a $5 million grant from Saudi Arabia's King Fahd, according to the news office press release.

"[Bhutto's] gift and the effort to raise additional support is a foundation stone in our efforts to build what we intend to be the most important Center for study of Islamic law in the United States and perhaps the world," Law School Dean Robert C. Clark said in the press release.