Ex-Prof. Charged in Crimes

Doctor Arrested for Illegally Dispensing Prescriptions

By Maggie Pisacane

Dr. Christopher V. Rowland, a former Harvard professor, was arrested Thursday after an undercover investigation by state police charged him with five counts of illegal prescription of controlled substances.

Rowland was an assistant clinical professor of psychology at the Medical School for 30 years until 1992.

An in-depth investigation by state police led to his arrest after Rowland was caught prescribing tranquilizers that enhance the effects of heroin and methodone to two undercover police agents.

The charges against Rowland "are just the tip of the iceberg," Michael Kogut, head of the attorney general's Medicaid fraud unit, told the Boston Herald yesterday.

"[Rowland] services a Medicaid population that is drug dependent," Kogut said in an interview yesterday. According to the Herald, Rowland has been practicing private medicine in Massachusetts since 1961.

According to officials, Rowland has written prescriptions for more than $100,000 worth of tranquilizers in the last year, of which Medicaid receives a large percentage.

"Medicaid [in return] paid him between $125,000 and $150,000 per year in reimbursments," Kogut told the Herald.

Rowland's connection to the drug-related deaths of two of his patients is currently being investigated.

Because of official accusations of negligence in Rowland's handling andquestioning of patients, "he is a threat to hispatients," Kogut told the Herald.

Rowland's experience with the law includes twosuits filed against him of sexual misconduct, bothof which are still pending.

One suit accuses him of coercing a patient toperform oral sex on him at his home. "He allegedlytold her the only way to get over sexual hang-upswas to have sex with him," reported the Herald.The other suit was settled out of court.

In addition, local television station WBZChannel Four reported Thursday that two complaintshave been brought to the state medical boardagainst the doctor, both of which have beenpending for over 13 months.

The investigation into Rowland's allegedillegal activities began when "pharmaciescomplained of his patients filling prescriptionswhile under the influence [of illegalsubstances]," Kogut said.

Kogut said the most recent stage of the ongoinginvestigation began in 1994 with monitored visitsto Rowland's office by undercover state police.

After Rowland's arrest and arraignment in theBrookline District Court on Thursday, the statemedical board called an emergency meeting andsuspended Rowland's medical license. The board hasbeen pursuing their own simultaneousinvestigation.

Rowland is being held on $25,000 bail.

Kogut said a hearing will be held on May 10,where Rowland will plead not-guilty.

If the case goes to trial, evidence seized bythe police in a search of Rowland's office andhome, where he also saw patients, will be reviewedby medical experts and presented before a grandjury, Kogut said.

Donald Zerendow, Rowland's attorney, could notbe reached for comment

Rowland is being held on $25,000 bail.