IOP Panelists Praise Republicans' `Contract'

By Evan Osnos

The Contract with America represents positive change, two conservative panelists said at a discussion on the document at the Institute of Politics last night.

Addressing an audience of about 150, the panelists said that the Republican Party's Contract With America seeks to remedy many of the mistakes made under the Democratic Congress.

Frank Luntz, a Republican pollster and president of the Luntz Research Companies, and Tom Korologos, former deputy assistant to Presidents Ford and Nixon, said the Contract reintroduces policies that restore power to the individual.

"[The Contract] is fundamental change," Luntz said. "And that is what 70 percent of Americans are looking for."

Luntz applauded the Republican Congress for its optimism and denied that the Contract is insensitive or mean-spirited.

"Don't think of this as a cynical document," he said.

"Because the people who worked on it are not cynical about it."

Korologos linked the Contract to the age-old American Dream.

"I refer to the Contract as the American Dream Restoration Act," said Korologos, who is currently president of Washington's Timmons and Company.

"The Contract means free enterprise, it means strong defense and it means strong values, " he added.

Panelists reminded the audience that nine ofthe 10 points of the Contract passed on the Housefloor. While voicing their support however, theywarned that difficult times may lay ahead.

"This is what we call a `KUNK,'" saidKorologos. "A known unknown--we know that we don'tknow what's going to happen."

"You heard a lot about the first one hundreddays," Korologos added. "But I think the importantthing is the second one hundred days."

During a brief question- and-answer period thepanelists addressed specific points of theContract.

"Welfare is destructive," Luntz said, citingthe Republicans' plans to limit benefits torecipients, and to reduce the number of peopleeligible to receive assistance. "The systemstinks. The system really destroys families," headded.

"The system itself encourages negative socialbehavior."

Luntz noted that welfare cuts would likely beunpopular.

"The Republicans have no choice," he told theaudience.

"It is not an example of what's politicallyexpedient--it is an example of what's politicallydetrimental."

Despite their expected unpopularity, welfarecuts are necessary, said Lutz. And, therefore, thecuts are in the voters' best interests, Luntzadded.

"I think that most of you would like to say, `Idon't want to hear about parties...I just want tosee something good done to the country,'" Lutzsaid.

Audience response was largely positive.

"They were a little arrogant," said Kevin B.Acklin '98. "But I liked the way they highlightedthe Contract as a positive reform.

Audience response was largely positive.