Five Get Athletic Prizes

By Susan A. Chen

Five undergraduates received Harvard's top athletic awards at yesterday evenings 29th annual Senior Letter winners ' Banquet.

Track and field co-captain Bryan A. Henry '95, 1994 NCAA fencing champion Kwame C. van Leeuwen '95, squash team co-captain and varsity soccer player Elizabeth B. Eynon '95, varsity basketball captain Tamara E. Butler '95 and Swim team captain Deborah L. Kory '95 won top honors at the dinner, which was held at Bright Hockey Center.

Eynon, who received the Radcliffe College Alumnae Association Award, was lauded by the nominating committee as a "quintessential leader and champion," according to a press release.

Butler and Kory received Radcliffe's Mary G. Paget prize, given annually to the graduating senior who has" contributed most to women's athletics during her four years as an undergraduate."

Usually, only one woman wins the award; this year, both Butler and Kory earned the price.

Henry and Van Leeuwen were both awarded the William J. Bingham Award.

Van Leeuwen is a four-time all-American. All-Ivy Leaguer, Breed Award winner and Harvard Most Valuable Fencer honoree.

Henry is the Ivy League record-holder in the 800-meter race and qualified for the NCAA championships in 1993 and 1995. In the past, he has been the recipient of the Bingham Relay Award and Harvard's Helmus Improvement Award.

Butler is the 1995 Ivy League Player of the Year and finished fourth in rebounds and first in points in the League this past season.

This year, she also received an NCAA post-graduate scholarship.

Kory is a three-time recipient of Harvard's annual Most Outstanding Swimmer Award.

She currently holds a record in the 400-meter individual medley in the Eastern Women's Swimming League Championships.