Former K-School Dean Dies

Former dean of the Kennedy School of Government Don K. Price Jr. died of Alzheimer's disease Sunday in Wellesley, Mass. at the age of 85.

Price, who served as dean of the then Graduate School of Public Administration from 1958 to 1977 and Weatherhead Professor of Public Management from 1958 to 1980, was known for his work in the study of government organization and management. More recently, he specialized in studying the relationship of science and technology to public policy.

Former Harvard president Derek C. Bok said that Price "was almost the most perfect gentleman [he] ever dealt with at Harvard."

"[He was] someone with such enormous integrity and decency that it was overwhelming," Bok said. "He was just a superior sort of man, not given to any of the pettiness or distempers or other defects that afflict most of us ordinary mortals."

Bok said he "will always value the

Bok said he "will always value the opportunitythat [he] had to work with [Price] as a Deanduring [his] time as President."

While Price was Dean, he was instrumental indeveloping the Kennedy School's curriculum.According to papers from the Kennedy School, oneof Price's "early innovations" was a seminardealing with Science and Public Policy.

Price worked to link the government andadministrative programs of the school to theSchool of Engineering where students could beexposed to learning approaches such as systemsanalysis.

Before joining the Harvard faculty, Price was areporter and editor at The Nashville EveningTenessean for two years.

Throughout his life, Price held numerousgovernment positions, including counsel to theExecutive Office of the President from 1961 to1972 and adviser to the King of Nepal in 1960. Healso served as a trustee at the Rand Corporationfrom 1961 to 1971 and at the Twentieth CenturyFund from 1965 until his death.

Price also spent time at Oxford University bothas a Rhodes Scholar in 1932 and as EastmanProfessor in 1985-86.

Born in Middlesboro, Ky. on Jan 23, 1910, Priceis survived by his second wife, Harriet SloaneFels; a son, Don C. Price; a daughter, LindaThomson; two stepchildren, Anna Fels and ThomasFels; and three grandchildren.

In a statement, Dean of the Kennedy School ofGovernment and Provost Albert Carnesdale calledPrice "one of the most well-liked members of theHarvard faculty in our time."

"His wise and gentle manner helped guide theschool through complex and tumultuous times,"Carnesdale said. "We miss him deeply."

A private funeral will be held for Price todayand a memorial service will be held in the fall