A Computer Thriller for the 90s

By Amar K. Goel

FILM

The Net

starring Sandra Bullock and Dennis Miller

produced by Columbia Pictures

Every now and then, a movie tries to be in touch with the latest fad. Wall Street came to symbolize the money culture of the 1980s. Reality Bites attempted to describe the actions of the early 90s Generation X.

In 1995, computers and information technology are in vogue. Hence, a recent string of films--Disclosure, Johnny Mnemonic, the soon-to-be-released Virtuosity and currently, The Net.

The Net, which stars Sandra Bullock as Angela Bennett, a computer programmer who hits one too many icons while surfing the World Wide Web (WWW), tries to be an action-adventure flick with a new villain: the cyber-terrorist.

These two reviewers have diverging opinions on this flick, so rather than providing a single review, we'll go for a conversation between Gell and Goel.

GELL: The day before I went to see The Net, I happened to catch a cable TV rerun of my favorite computer-related flick ever, Jumping Jack Flash. This mid-80s film took place before the World Wide Web was popularized, and yet a female computer analyst somehow became involved in an international cyber-conspiracy. This film blended humor, action, romance and some fine classic rock by the 'Stones. Seeing this film made me excited to see The Net. I was expecting another Jumping Jack Flash, but I figured the new film would use better technology and have a smarter heroine. Plus, let's face it, watching Sandra Bullock for two hours is a bit more exciting than watching Whoopi Goldberg. Unfortunately, despite Sandra Bullock, The Net did not come close to equaling Jumping Jack Flash.

GOEL: Could we stay on the subject of reviewing The Net; and not talk about a 10-year-old movie no one cares about anymore? And when you do talk about The Net all you can mention, like the Neanderthal you are, is "Ugggh, Sandra Bullock is hot!"

GELL: I base my arguments solely on cinematographic merit. My opinions on Sandra Bullock are simply an aside. But she is very good looking.

GOEL: Getting back to the subject, I think The Net is a good movie. I'll give you it's not a classic, but then neither is Jumping Jack Flash. The Net shows the WWW on the cutting edge. The technology out there is mind-boggling, and the incredible things that happen in the movie actually could happen. Jack Devlin (Jeremy Northam), the evil, evil villain, gets into the California Department of Motor Vehicles computer system and turns Angela Bennett (Sandra Bullock) into someone else who has a criminal list as long as, well, you know--it's long.

GELL: A plot summary, my friend, does not make a good review. Let's get to the basics. Although this movie showcases a lot of interesting technology (I especially liked the virtual fireplace), at its heart, it is an action-adventure film. Unfortunately, there is very little action involved. While the viewer gets a good glimpse of Jack Devlin, who has been sent to kill Bennett after she gains knowledge of an attempt to sabotage the Internet, the viewer learns little about the actual mastermind of the plan and his intentions. Instead, the viewer catches glimpses of Jeff Gregg, a Bill Gates-like computer executive out to destroy the world. The best movies about good guys and bad guys tend to leave a viewer--at least for a while--sympathizing with the bad guy.

GOEL: Are you computer illiterate? Bennett learns about an attempt to sabotage the powers of the Net, not the actual Net itself. Although, I guess it's not really your fault. This movie is about the Web, a loose network of public information sites, but it isn't the Web. Hollywood has done another injustice and fooled millions of Americans. Anyways, I don't get your whole "sympathize with the bad guy" thing. I was rootin' for Bennett the whole time, and proud of it. Devlin and Gregg are jerks, and I wanna' see them lose. Plain and simple.

GELL: I haven't yet had a chance to criticize the pseudo-romantic thing between Bennett and Dr. Alan Champion (Dennis Miller), a seldane-popping ("It's the antihistamine of champions," he remarks in one of the film's wittiest moments) psychiatrist who resembles the comedian Yakov Smirnoff, not the host of Weekend Update. Miller appeared uncomfortable in his $4,000 suits and often-forced lines. Also, I was hoping to see more of Miller's character, given the high billing he had in advertisements. Essentially, his role was a glorified cameo appearance. Indeed, every actor in this film--save Bullock--has a glorified cameo role. This film has very little character development. Part of it may be deliberate, in order to emphasize the impersonal world in which we live now that computers dominate. But it's annoying to go through a two-hour movie and not learn anything about anyone other than Angela Bennett.

GOEL: The movie was designed to center around Bullock. Any idiot could tell you that. She's a great girl and does a good job. Her new found stardom (thanks to Keanu Reeves and Speed) is well-deserved and highlights another great actress. I really liked Bullock's character. She was a great computer expert and was a hard-worker. Much of the movie centers around Bennett's first vacation in six years to Cozumel, where she meets Devlin, who tries to seduce her. Bullock is convincing as a loner who seems very happy in Devlin's arms after having sex on his small cruiser.

GELL: Okay, Bullock was great in "Speed." This film even alluded to "Speed," as Bullock in one scene was forced to make a somewhat distant jump across an opening drawbridge. Unfortunately, as with many other scenes in this film, this scene did not become a real adrenaline-rusher or a "great escape" for the heroine. Instead, the movie simply continued, as if nothing happened. Hey, Goel, did this movie change your opinions about the Web? Are you worried that things may not really be safe after you saw a woman's identity change completely?

GOEL: I know things aren't safe. But I don't let it bother me because there are too many idiots out there like you who think the Net is the same thing as the Web. There are a few wackos out there who can do whatever the hell they want; we're just lucky it's a few. As Gregg tells the press, "Information is power."

GELL: So this review, given that it is a type of information, makes me powerful, I guess. Cool, isn't it?

GOEL: Yup, you're a raving lunatic. Well, it's about time to sign off, folks. We should let you get back to your news so you get your daily dose of information.