Clinton, Dole Square off in Final Debate of Campaign.

ELECTION '96

By David L. Greene and Flora Tartakovsky

In an unexpectedly low-key debate last night in San Diego, President Bill Clinton restated his vision for the 21st century, while Republican challenger Robert J. Dole leveled quiet attacks against the president's record and character.

In the 90-minute "town hall" showdown, Clinton continued to stress that everyone deserves a piece of the American pie as the country moves into the new millennium.

"We need to create opportunity for all," Clinton said. "Everybody's got a role to play and a place at the table."

Dole, who was expected by pundits to attack vehemently the president's character and ethics in the campaign's final debate, instead threw more subtle jabs at his opponent throughout the night.

"When you're the president of the United States, you have the public trust," said Dole. "That trust is being violated."

While he remained civil in his attacks, Dole did mention Clinton's refusal to rule out pardons in the Whitewater scandal and the his administration's request of personal FBI files for leading Republicans.

"The president has a responsibility to the people...when it comes to public ethics; 900 files were gathered up by some guy who was a bouncer at a bar," Dole said. "Why should they be rifling through your files?"

Clinton clearly avoided a character debate.

"I want a discussion about ideas and issues, not insults," the president said in his opening statement.

"No insult ever cleared up a toxic waste dump or helped an elderly person," he added.

The candidates once again made tax policy a major focus of the night.

At one point, a questioner invited Dole to lay out the specifics of his across-the-board 15 percent tax cut.

"I want a constitutional amendment to balance the budget by 2002," said Dole, who added no other details of the plan and asked voters to take him by his word.

"I keep my promises," said Dole. "I don't break my promises and I don't make new promises in an election year."

Clinton laid out his own proposal for targeted tax cuts.

The debate was peppered with questions on some of the more sensitive issues of the campaign, including Dole's age. While Dole called his age and experience "an advantage," Clinton suggested that age should not be an issue at all.

"I don't think Dole is too old to be president," Clinton said. "It's the age of his ideas that I question."

Questioners also grilled the candidates on their respective stances on affirmative action, an issue clearly dividing the two men.

Harvard political experts agreed that the debate would do little to damage Clinton's 17-point lead in recent polls.

"I would doubt that it changed anybody's views," said Dillon Professor of Government Emeritus Richard E. Neustadt. "They were both engaged in avoiding damage. I don't think the format allows you to take the gloves off."

Thompson Professor of Government Harvey C. Mansfield said he thought Dole should have taken a more aggressive tone in his attacks on Clinton but was not surprised that this approach did not materialize.

"It is not in his nature," Mansfield said. "He has trouble being severe to fellow human beings, even schmoozers like President Clinton.