OCS Will Offer Evening Hours For Students

By Maia K. Davis

Students looking for employment will be able to spend Wednesday evening exploring possibilities at the Office of Career Services (OCS) under a new schedule announced yesterday.

The Reading Room and the resource collection on the first floor and in the basement will be open until 8 p.m. Wednesdays starting Nov. 6.

The extended service is in response to user suggestions made throughout the year in a number of forums, according to an OCS press release.

"A large number [of people] wanted us to be open beyond nine to five and we thought it would be a great service for students and alumni alike", said Paul A. Bohlmann, assistant director for OCS.

Although counseling appointments will not be available during these extended hours, there will be two OCS staff members available to help students in conducting research and answering questions.

Students said they are looking forward to the extra hours because it caters to their busy schedules.

"It would be really good because I have classes in the afternoon", Abigail L. Hing '99 said. "If there was a bigger time block in the evening, I'd definitely come".

Stephen G. Phillips '96 also said he would take advantage of the new schedule.

"OCS is making the access to the information we need very easy", he said. "A job search without OCS is a pain".

Bohlmann said he did not expect large numbers of students to take advantage of the service, but could not give a more specific estimate.

This is the first time that the OCS has offered its services beyond the usual business hours.

"We're going to run this as a pilot program this year", Bohlmann said. "We will take stock at the end of the year and see where we stand".

The spring schedule will be announced later this term.

Approximately 600 people use OCS on busier days, Bohlmann said.