Actor Mel Gibson to Pay Visit to Campus

By Whitney K. Bryant

Actor, producer and director Mel Gibson will visit Harvard in two weeks to attend seminars, speak to the community and watch local performers.

Gibson's Nov. 12 speech in Sanders Theatre is a ticketed event and will only be open to Harvard affiliates. Tickets will be given out using a lottery system.

The first half of Gibson's hour-long speech will address his career, and the second half will be open to questions from the audience, according to Thomas S. Lee, the Learning from Performers coordinator.

During his visit to Harvard, Gibson will also stop in at a Graduate School of Education (GSE) class on arts in education. There, students the from Boston and Cambridge public school system will perform dramatic scenes for the actor, who will critique and coach them.

In the afternoon, Gibson will attend a private seminar for film students taught by Dusan Makavejev, visiting lecturer on Visual and Environmental Studies.

Officials declined to give further details on Gibson's visit, citing privacy concerns. "Mr. Gibson has specifically requested a low-key visit with students," said Ariadne I. Valsamis, a GSE spokesperson.

Gibson, who was born in Australia, has won two Academy Awards, both for his work starring in and directing the film "Braveheart." He has also starred in such films as "Lethal Weapon," "Hamlet" and "Mad Max."

The actor's visit is co-sponsored by the Learning from Performers program in the Office for the Arts at Harvard-Radcliffe and the GSE.

Jessica H. Davis, who directs the Arts in Education concentration, said Gibson's visit is an "exciting, mysterious adventure for all of us."

Sign-ups for the ticket lottery will take place from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. today and Monday at the Gutman Library on Appian Way and the Office for the Arts at 74 Mt. Auburn St.

Results of the lottery will be posted next Thursday and Friday at the same places. A Harvard ID will be required to claim seats.

Only one ticket per person will be issued, and no tickets will be distributed after 6 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 8.