Weld, Whitman Endorse Front-Runner Dole

ELECTION '96

By Kathryn M. Meneely, Special to The Crimson

BOSTON--Six days before the nation's first primary, Governor William F. Weld '66 endorsed Republican presidential candidate Sen. Robert J. Dole (R-Kan.) yesterday in New Hampshire.

Although Weld holds different views than Dole on various social issues, the governor told the Associated Press that Dole has the "ability to be a good and even great president."

Weld, who is challenging popular Democratic incumbent Sen. John Kerry this November, made his announcement several hours after Sen. Phil Gramm (R-Texas), widely recognized as a more conservative presidential candidate, dropped out of the race.

Weld's endorsement reflects a stampede of Republican officials towards the Dole camp, following the senator's victory in Iowa's caucus on Monday.

Weld Press Secretary Virginia Buckingham would not comment on the specific reasons for Weld's endorsement of the Kansas senator.

But Kerry's campaign officials said Weld has alienated Massachusetts voters by supporting Dole.

"Senator Dole does not represent the needs or concerns of Massachusetts residents," said Jennifer Watson, a spokesperson for Kerry.

Watson cited Dole's history of opposition to the creation of Medicare, Roe v. Wade and a minimum wage as positions which "do not jive with what Massachusetts families care about."

Weld made his announcement at Dole's campaign headquarters in Manchester, N.H. Flanked by New Hampshire Gov. Steve Merrill, the move was an attempt to show widespread support for Dole, the party's top-ranking official.

Meanwhile New Jersey Governor Christine Todd Whitman stopped at the Hampshire House in downtown Boston to announce her support for Dole.

"Bob Dole stands head and shoulders above the rest," Whitman said at the press conference.

Observers have speculated that Dole will select Whitman as a running mate if he receives the Republican nomination.

Whitman, however, said she was not endorsing Dole with the hopes of landing the vice-presidency.

"I have not even thought about [being Dole's running mate] because I know he is not going to ask me," she said. "Bob Dole can beat President Clinton on his own."

Whitman further refused to speculate that she would accept the position if it were offered to her, saying "I am happy being governor of New Jersey."

Following her press conference, Whitman left for New Hampshire to campaign for Dole this weekend.

Lt. Gov. A. Paul Cellucci followed Weld's lead and said Dole is well-qualified for the presidency and has provided "steady, courageous leadership throughout his career."

But Watson said the Weld campaign is sending a contradictory message with the endorsement.

"At home he portrays himself as a moderate," Watson said. "But to the national press, he has called himself 'Newt Gingrich's ideological soul mate.'