Dole First In Early Returns

The New Hampshire Primary

By David L. Greene, C.r. Mcfadden, and Kathryn M. Meneely

DIXVILLE NOTCH, N.H.--At the stroke of midnight, 25 residents of this town came to life, gathered at the Balsams Grand Resort and cast ballots in today's primary.

Keeping with a tradition established in 1952, the ballots were counted by 12:07 am, and the polls were closed immediately thereafter.

Sen. Robert J. Dole (R-Kan.) captured 11 of the 20 Republican ballots. He was followed by former Tennessee gov. Lamar Alexander with five votes. Conservative commentator Patrick J. Buchanan had two votes, while multimillionaire publisher Malcolm S. "Steve" Forbes Jr. and Sen. Richard M. Lugar (R-Ind.) each received one vote.

President Clinton, running unopposed, garnered the votes of all five of the town's Democrats.

Robin Dole, daughter of the Kansas senator, told The Crimson that she hopes the magic here will pervade the state and propel Dole to a New Hampshire and national victory.

"There's a saying here," said Robin Dole from the polling place here. "As Dixville Notch goes, so goes New Hampshire."

Nestled in the White Mountains only 10 miles from the Canadian border, the town's results have successfully predicted the winners of the past seven Republican primary contests.

Don Vashaw said he voted for Dole because "he has the best chance to beat Clinton in November."

As 150 members of the press made the four-hour voyage from Manchester to witness the historic event, resident Louise Tillotson said the event was a change of pace from daily life here.

"We're really flustered by it all," she said."