Areeda Is Remembered at Service

West Wing of Langdell Hall to Be Named for Late Law Professor

By Kymberle J. Zielinski

A Supreme Court justice, a number of professors and more than 150 other friends and family members attended a memorial service yesterday in honor of the late Langdell Professor of Law Phillip E. Areeda '51.

"It is good that we who have such great affection for Phillip Areeda are able to be here today to join in tribute for our friend," said Clark Byse, Royall professor of law emeritus.

Areeda, who was known as one of the country's foremost antitrust experts as the author of Antitrust Law and Antitrust Analysis, passed away on December 24.

"I will miss him, the Law School will miss him...but more importantly, future classes will miss being taught law by Phillip Areeda," Samuel C. Butler '51, a college classmate of Areeda's, said at the Memorial Church service.

In his remembrance of Areeda, Law School Dean Robert C. Clark announced that the west wing of Langdell Hall will be renamed Areeda Hall in the professor's honor.

Before his death, Areeda was chosen by students to receive the Albert M. Sacks-Paul A. Freund Award for Teaching Excellence.

Those who gave speeches at the memorial service spoke of Areeda's passion for gourmet meals, good wine and opera.

In particular, the anecdotes of Butler and former University president Derek C. Bok drew smiles of remembrance from many mourners.

"What he wanted most of all is to use his special talents," said Bok, adding that he most remembered Areeda's "honesty, fidelity to principle and candor."

Supreme Court Justice Stephen G. Breyer, a former lecturer at the Law School, was also among the distinguished company of guests.

"Phillip Areeda was a giant of the Harvard faculty and an embodiment of its principles," Breyer said. "He was an example of intelligence, integrity, honesty, dedication to work and dedication to principle."

Areeda was praised for his teaching and lauded for his expertise in the area of antitrust law.

Before his death, Areeda gave $5 million to the Law School, the second largest individual gift ever given to the school.

A reception following the service was held in Langdell Hall.