Alexander Addresses Hundreds in Boston

By Kathryn M. Meneely, Special to The Crimson

BOSTON--While the rest of the Republican presidential field battled in Arizona, former Tennessee gov. Lamar Alexander brought his campaign to the steps of Quincy Market yesterday afternoon.

More than 300 people gathered to watch Alexander, one of the top four contenders for the Republican nomination.

After the crowd cheered, chanted its support and listened to classic rock star Tom Petty's hit "American Girl" blare over the loudspeakers, Alexander delivered a 20-minute address highlighting his initiatives to broaden free trade and downsize the federal government.

With next Tuesday's primary here still considered to be wide open, Alexander said he hopes he can piggyback on his recent successes in New Hampshire and Iowa to win in the Bay State.

Although he shed his traditional checkered flannel shirt for a business suit, Alexander continued to stress the same themes he has used previously: energy, optimism and vision.

"I am the right candidate for Massachussets," said Alexander, flanked by state Rep. Brian P. Lees (R-Springfield), the house minority leader.

"I embody rising, shining Americanism," Alexander told the lunchtime crowd. "I am the future of this country."

William D. Zerhouni '97-'98, president of the Harvard-Radcliffe Republican Alliance, attended the rally and said he plans to vote for Alexander on Tuesday.

"I think Alexander is the candidate with the best vision [and] the best chance to beat Clinton in the fall," he said.

During this primary season, Alexander has trailed conservative commentator Patrick J. Buchanan and Sen. Robert J. Dole (R-Kan.).

Yesterday he blasted the two candidates, neither of whom have campaigned in Massachusetts.

"I am calling on you to reject Buchananism and go beyond Dole," said Alexander. "Buchanan is not the future of the Republican Party or the United States."

Alexander criticized Buchanan's stance against free trade as a blatant attempt to capitalize on voters' fears about the economy.

"I've studied enough to know a tariff is really a tax on us," said Alexander.

Buchanan's plan to restrict imports and implement tariffs would hurt consumers and workers, according to Alexander.

Instead of "building a wall around the nation," Alexander suggested America pursue technological innovations and provide loans to small businesses and college students.

Alexander also downplayed the importance of the endorsement of Dole by Mass. Gov. William F. Weld '66 two weeks ago.

Alexander commended Dole, 72, on his 40 years of service in Washington.

But he said the Kansas senator lacks the vision needed to be a successful president.

"This race is a contest of ideas," Alexander said. "If you don't have the ideas, Senator Dole, why are you running for President?"

Alexander advocated reducing the size of the federal government and returning more power to local and state legislatures.

He also proposed limiting terms of Congress to six months and cut the pay of legislators in half.

"We need less [direction] from Washington, and more from ourselves," he said.

Alexander also said he plans to cancel welfare programs and let "neighborhood foundations" and charities help the poor