Wilson Accepts New Position At K-School

Noted Scholar Will Join Faculty in Fall

By Andrew A. Green and Benjamin R. Kaplan

Distinguished sociologist, reknowned author and Afro-American scholar William Julius Wilson has accepted a position as Malcolm Wiener Professor of Public Policy at Harvard's Kennedy School of Government, Dean Joseph Nye announced yesterday.

Described by Nye as "one of the most remarkable scholars of our time," Wilson will join the Kennedy School faculty next fall.

In an interview yesterday afternoon, Wilson said he decided to come to Harvard because the University has achieved a "critical mass" of outstanding scholars in sociology, Afro-American studies, law, political science and education.

"This puts Harvard at the forefront of the national policy debate," Wilson said.

Wilson, currently a professor of sociology and public policy at the University of Chicago, is also the director of the Center for the Study of Urban Inequality at Chicago's I.B. Harris Graduate School of Public Policy Studies.

In addition to the Kennedy School appointment, Wilson will also serve on the Advisory Board of the W.E.B. DuBois Institute for Afro-American Research, be a voting member of the Department of Afro-American Studies and hold an affiliation with the Department of Sociology.

"When I visited Harvard, I was so excited at the thought of working around all of those scholars," Wilson said. "The University of Chicago is a wonderful place, and it was a difficult decision to leave it, but there's no place like Harvard."

Wilson is the latest in a series of recent appointments of distinguished scholars to Harvard's Afro-American studies program, in what Provost Albert Carnesale dubbed a "self-conscious effort" to build a concentration of academicians in that area.

Wilson follows the 1993 appoint ment of noted scholar and author Cornel West '74 to a position in the Department of Afro-American Studies.

In addition to adding his tremendous scholarship to Harvard, the appointment of Wilson is a "wonderful step" toward making Harvard's faculty more diverse, Carnesale said in an interview yesterday.

Henry Louis Gates Jr., the W.E.B. DuBois professor of the humanities and chair of the Department of Afro-American Studies, said in a Kennedy School press release that Wilson's appointment positions Harvard to assume a national leadership role in shaping public policy decisions regarding race and class.

"For Afro-American Studies, Wilson will be the pivotal person in our social sciences component, complementing the considerable strength we have in cultural studies," Gates said. "This is a great day for Harvard, and a great day for Afro-American Studies!"

Wilson said he plans to continue his work on issues of urban inequality, race and class, in addition to setting up research sites in Boston similar to ones he has in Chicago.

Also, Wilson said he hopes to develop a course in cross-cultural studies of urban inequality, focusing on differences between how the United States and Europe deal with urban problems.

Wilson received national attention and acclaim for his groundbreaking work in The Truly Disadvantaged: The Inner City, The Underclass, and Public Policy, named as one of the 16 best books published in 1987, by The New York Times Book Review, according to the press release.

Wilson is the former chair of the Department of Sociology at the University of Chicago and the past president of both the American Sociological Association and the Consortium of Social Science Associations.

He has been elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, the American Philosophical Society and the National Academy of Sciences. He has also been awarded 22 honorary doctorates.

According to Carnesale, the addition of Wilson further reinforces Harvard's standing as the nation's leading institution for sociology and Afro-American Studies.

"We've been trying to get Wilson to come to Harvard for a long time. The effort started long before I was dean [of the Kennedy School]," Carnesale said.

"He's at a stage in his life when he'd like to make a shift to policy, and the Kennedy School and Harvard is the best place to do that.," Carnesale added