Five-Alarm Fire Obliterates Shop

Taxi's Leaking Gas Tank Possible Cause

By Michael T. Jalkut

A five-alarm fire blazed through a Fresh Pond Parkway auto repair shop yesterday and threatened to consume a nearby gas station and an elementary school.

Workers at the E&M Auto Clinic fled from the burning building and called emergency dispatchers at 10:52 in the morning. By 11 a.m. the fire was upgraded to five alarms, the highest priority.

Firefighters were still fighting the blaze at 8 p.m. last night.

The fire was ruled an accident, but possible violations of safety codes are being investigated, according to Deputy Chief Gerald R. Reardon.

Fire officials said that a gasoline leak from a taxi cab being repaired in the shop sparked the fire. The gas ignited and spread, but the five mechanics were able to evacuate unharmed.

"From my experience, it is amazing that they were able to get out of there," said Reardon of the Cambridge Fire Department. "They were lucky."

Although the fire occurred roughly one-half mile southwest of the Quad, flames could be seen from as far as the Science Center yesterday afternoon.

The fire rapidly set the petroleum-filled shop ablaze, sending up huge plumes of smoke. Many students strolling by the Science Center overpass stopped to watch the smoke clouds.

"It was this dark, billowy column," said Eleanor M. Pries '99, who is a Cambridge native. "I don't know how other people not from around here felt but I was concerned. It's my hometown."

Although several five-alarm fires are normal for one year in Cambridge, Reardon said he cannot remember another this year.

Seven Greater Boston area fire departments came to the scene with 76 firefighters and 20 trucks.

In addition to the volume of the fire, the danger to the neighboring Tobin Elementary School caused concern to fire officials.

"Our main concern was keeping it away from the school," said Reardon. "It wasn't in session, but there were still lot of people in there for other activities."

Although a set of Mobil gas pumps stood 50 yards away from the blazing auto shop, Reardon said, due to recent safety upgrades, they were in little danger of igniting.

"Even if you ran into those pumps and dislodged them the underground tanks wouldn't catch fire," he said.

A Japanese restaurant flanking the burning shop also survived uncharred.

The firefighters had the fire under control by 2 p.m., according to Deputy Chief John J. Gelinas, who was also at the scene. Meanwhile, the Fresh Pond Parkway was closed.

One firefighter was treated for minor injuries. No others were hurt in the blaze.

By 5 p.m. only two hoses were still dousing the hot spots.

The brick front alone stood among the mangled ruins and a singed red Coke machine provided the only bit of color amidst the black remains.

The remnants of the building will be torn down tomorrow