Brotman Drops Out of Race

By Tara I. Chang

Alissa S. Brotman '97 announced her decision to withdraw from the Undergraduate Council presidential race yesterday, ending any prospects that she would become the first female president in the council's 14-year history.

Brotman was the only female candidate running in the council's first popular election for president. Her departure leaves voters with 10 candidates from which to choose.

"I am happy that I ran in the campaign," Brotman said in an interview with The Crimson. "I hope my issues, my platform continue."

"I believe that it is important for anyone who believes in themselves and believes in the issues to run for office," she said.

Brotman did not cite any specific reasons for dropping out of the race. Yesterday's Crimson poll, however, indicated the Adams House junior had the support of just 1.3 percent of students. The poll's margin of error was five percent.

"I could not put my best effort in the campaign," she said. "I did stand for something, but I have MCAT's on Saturday."

Brotman--whose platform centered largely on issues such as promoting gender equality--said she now fully endorses the slate of Robert M. Hyman '98-'97 and Lamelle D. Rawlins '99.

"Rob's platform and mine are more similar," she said. "Rob has come out in favor gender issues, though he hasn't stressed some as much as I have."

Brotman said she chose to support Hyman and Rawlins because they "bring up a lot of the issues that I've had and I think that their efforts have a lot of merit."

Presidential candidate Rudd W. Coffey '97, however, said he found Brotman's endorsement "surprising."

"I would have expected Brotman to oppose the status quo," said Coffey, referring to Hyman's current role as the council's president.

"Hyman talks about [gender equality], but doesn't act on it," he said.

Hyman said he respects Brotman's decision to withdraw from the race and is proud to have her endorsement.

"We should all be appreciative of the effort, interest and ideas that she made prominent in her campaign," Hyman said.

Brotman's campaign efforts amounted to postering in several river houses--especially in Mather House--where she hoped to draw the votes of other student-athletes.

Brotman is a member of the varsity women's cross-country team.

Rawlins said Brotman's endorsement "proves the strength and sincerity of the Hyman/Rawlins stance on gender equality."

In yesterday's Crimson poll, Hyman led the presidential race with 22.3 percent of the vote and Rawlins clung to a seven-point lead over Tally Zingher '99, her closest competitor for vice-president.

Coffey was second in the presidential poll with 12.9 percent. Twenty-nine percent of voters were undecided at the time of the poll, which was conducted last weekend.

--Matthew W. Granade contributed to the reporting of this story.