City Council Delays Pay Hike

The Cambridge City Council last night voted to hold a public hearing before approving pay raises for elected city officials.

The group also passed several other measures during the marathon council meeting, including several by a split vote.

Last week, the council approved a pay increase for city council and school committee members without considering public input. Many residents objected at last night's meeting, and the council voted to hold a public hearing next Monday to discuss the matter further.

Cambridge residents criticized the council last night for the lack of public discussion previously.

"There's a way to do everything, and this is not the way to do it," said Cambridge resident William L. Cobhan.

Councillor Katherine Triantafillou, who actually proposed a resolution to cut councillors' pay to $15,000 annually, sided with the disgruntled citizens.

"It is true that the ordinance did not go through the proper procedures.... We should be very cautious of making this kind of request from the city," Triantafillou said.

The council also voted 5-0, with four members voting "present," to support an ordinance urging the Commonwealth of Massachusetts not to interfere with same-gender marriages.

The ordinance comes in anticipation of a Hawaii court case which, if approved, would become the first state in the United States to extend such privileges.

In a diverse, multicultural city like Cambridge, Councillor Kenneth E. Reeves '72 said, the government should recognize a diversity of "wonderful marriage" possibilities.

"We on this council should show that love does have meaning, that it has all the same meaning as everyone else's love," said Reeves, who is gay.

The council also voted not to allow U.S. Shuttle to conduct business in Cambridge, arguing that the airport shuttle service would take business away from local taxi drivers.

The council rounded out the meeting by voting 6-3 to give $50,000 to Cambridge Legal Services to provide legal counsel to low-income residents.

Several councillors said the service would protect thousands of low-income residents from eviction as rent control is gradually phased out.

"I am very worried about the tenants who might find themselves homeless on December 31 [when rent control is lifted]," said Vice Mayor Kathleen L. Born. "They may become clients of Cambridge and Somerville Legal Services."