College Alcohol Policy Becoming `No Tolerance'

By Jason M. Goins, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

In response to the recent alcohol-related deaths of two Massachusetts college students, Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68 and Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III released a statement yesterday strengthening the College's alcohol policy.

"We are determined to find and utilize every effective means to prevent a tragic injury or death from occurring at Harvard," the statement said.

The new statement serves as a reaffirmation and a strengthening of current alcohol policy, Epps said in an interview yesterday.

"We are moving towards a no tolerance posture," he said.

The statement presents 16 clauses on alcohol-related problems, issues and support on campus and is a "call for stronger educational efforts," Epps said.

"Intoxication is associated with every form of adverse social behavior occurring at Harvard," the statement says.

The statement further urges Harvard Square establishments to "be strict" in carding students and cautions athletic teams, singing groups and other student organizations to "observe all relevant regulations" regarding alcohol-related practices.

The statement also encourages house masters, senior tutors and the dean and assistant deans of freshman to "ensure that underage drinkers will not be served at Harvard functions."

The College has requested that Cambridge police help enforce the alcohol laws, and recent discussions between Harvard and city officials have led to both "clarification of jurisdictional issues and to renewed commitment to enforcement by both the College and the City," the statement says.

The statement also outlines the College's position on final clubs and urges the "graduate officers of the final clubs to provide adequate security and supervision at the establishments for which they are responsible."

The statement also seeks to curtail alcohol-related activities at final clubs and to warn students that functions at final clubs "may be disorderly and dangerous."

The College has requested that Cambridge police assist in the maintenance of "security and supervision at the establishments," the statement said.

"The City's interest in monitoring the final clubs is an important new development," Lewis wrote in an e-mail message yesterday.

The process of regulating alcohol consumption on campus is really a "two way street," Epps said.

On the one hand students should not drink if they are under 21 and should be warned against the consumption of excessive alcohol and from binge drinking, Epps said.

On the other hand, institutions that provide alcohol "will be held to a higher standard and should be warned that Cambridge police will enforce the law," he said.

The statement also addressed those who suffer the secondary effects of alcohol consumption, namely the roommates of those who binge drink, urging them to seek help.

"Peers should not suffer in silence," Epps said.

Although Epps said that Harvard is not a dry campus yet, recent events "constitute a watershed which will probably lead to new policies regarding the availability of alcohol on campus.