Tasty Discussed In Square Defense Fund Meeting

By Courtney A. Coursey, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Approximately 50 people attended the recent annual meeting of the Harvard Square Defense Fund (HSDF), where the future of development in The Square--including the fate of the Tasty, the Winthrop Park area and the University's proposed Knafel building--were discussed.

"One of the success stories was the resolution of the Wursthaus/Tasty block," said Gladys Pebble Gifford, HSDF president.

Gifford was referring to the three buildings in the complex at the corner of JFK St. and Mass Ave., which have been declared historical landmarks.

In her annual summary remarks, the president said that regardless of how construction changes the face of this complex, the three facades--including the Tasty' storefront--will be preserved.

Earlier, representatives from Cambridge Savings Bank--which owns the complex and is supporting the construction--and the Tasty were brought together by Cambridge City Manager Robert W. Healy.

An agreement was reached to guarantee the Tasty space in the building, but no commitment was made as to where the Tasty's space will be.

As a result, another business may in fact be located behind the Tasty facade, with the Tasty located in another part of the complex after construction has been completed, Gifford said.

The HSDF also claimed a victory in the development of the block in which Grendel's restaurant is located.

Gifford said the HSDF and the developer of the area agreed on a deal whereby the wood-frame building housing Tweeters will be saved but relocated to face Winthrop Park. In return for preserving the building, the HSDF agreed support the rest of the project.

"We had decided long ago that wood-frame buildings had become scarce enough in Harvard Square," Gifford said.

She said the HSDF decided to "take a stand" on the building housing Tweeters.

The project includes a seven-story building, including a $2-million penthouse, to be built behind the relocated Tweeters building, Gifford said.

A proposal has also been made for a "very large, square, massive" building at the corner of Arrow Street and Mass. Ave. to replace the parking lot now located there.

Gifford said the proposal "has not been well-received" and the developers are being urged to downsize the building.

The HSDF also is watching developments in Harvard's plans to build the 60-70,000-square foot Knafel building, which would house Harvard's government department and would be located near the Graduate School of Design.

Gifford said a "wide swath of city residents" opposing the new building have started a petition drive.