Congress Without Consequences

Teen Politicians Gather for Weekend Legislative Simulation

By James ALLEN Johnson

A few senators were abducted and scandals have erupted, but overall, things at the Boston Sheraton, the site of Harvard Model Congress (HMC), are right on track.

High school students from across the country have been debating bills by day and enjoying a break from home at night.

Elizabeth Severson, a high school student from the Chicago area, said she was enjoying the conference.

"We have had senators being kidnapped," she said. Moreover, she noted that a handful of liberal students at the conference had been seen dancing semi-naked in their underwear under a blacklight.

HMC works much of the year preparing for this weekend, creating bills for the students to discuss and research packets for the students to read up on the issues.

The high school students are given a survey before the congressional simulation to determine their political leanings. Each student is then assigned a real politician in Washington to emulate, ranging from liberal Sen. Edward M. Kennedy '54-'56 (D-Mass.) to conservative Rep. Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.).

Once placed in the simulated House or Senate, the students operate as if they were the real legislative bodies, debating bills, meeting in committees and voting on resolutions.

Besides the simulated legislative bodies, the high schoolers act as lobbyists and members of the press. Each program is guided by Harvard students in HMC.

Not everything that happens in Washington is pretty, and HMC is dedicated to providing a real simulation, controversy and all.

"We simulate scandals for the kids," said Travis Hendon '98.

The students produce two daily papers at the conference, the conservative HMC Journal and the liberal HMC Today.

In the latest HMC Today, articles ranged from stricter gun control to freedom of speech for lobbyists, whose sign pictured on the front page states "Facts not welcome."

The conservative HMC Journal discussed capping student loans and expanding NAFTA to Chile