New Attractions May Revitalize Loker

By Maia K. Davis

Students looking for nightly entertainment can now attend a number of performances and fun activities being held at Loker Commons on weeknights.

The new performances and programs are designed to make maximum use of the space, said Eric C. Engel, director of the Memorial Lowell Complex.

"The Memorial Hall complex is working with the Dean of Students Office to proactively program events in Loker Commons as a result of a general perception that the space was being underutilized for student activity," Engel said.

Among the new attractions are first years' night at Loker on Sundays, performance night at the coffeehouse on Monday, HRTV at the coffeehouse on Tuesdays, the entertainment extravaganza on Wednesday and a Friday night freak.

Some of these events will be performed and organized by visiting student groups such as the Radcliffe Pitches, Harvard Jazz Band and the Opportunes.

Loker's administration aims to draw in students by encouraging campus groups to perform, Engel said.

"We are trying to make the space more accessible for student-initiated activities by eliminating some of the red tape involved in booking Loker Commons and Loker Commons Coffeehouse performance space," Engel said.

Uttam K. Tambar '00, a regular at Loker, attended a recent event at Loker, "The Darker Side," featuring music by WHRB and dancing from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m.

"It's very cool," Tambar said. "For example, they have Raggae and Hip Hop music and a lot of people complain that parties don't have that type of music."

Engel said the administration is making more efforts to obtain student feedback on changes to Loker.

"Undergraduates can look forward to receiving a questionnaire from Dean Epps' office and also a detailed calendar of events for Loker Commons," Engel said.

Additionally, the new changes to Loker include a flower shop and a book swap, created in response to student feedback, Engel said.

Some students say they are pleased with the new additions.

"I like the changes," said Sukanya Lahiri '00. "The book shop is wonderful and the flower shop is great."

Harvard Dining Services is also responding to student's requests by adding Fast Track, a restaurant which features hamburgers and other readymade food.

Lahiri said that although the changes might encourage her to visit Loker more often, she still has mixed feeling about Loker Common's gaining high popularity as a student hangout.