Law School Receives $1.5 Million

Scholarship and Financial Aid Bequest Given for Late Brother

By Jay S. Kimmelman

Harvard Law School (HLS) announced yesterday a $1.5 million donation to establish a scholarship and financial aid fund.

The Louis Rudner Scholarship and Financial Aid Fund was given as a bequest from Samuel Rudner, a 1929 HLS graduate, who died on October 4, 1995 and his late brother, Otto Rudner '19

The scholarship and fund are named for the Rudners' late brother Louis, who graduated from HLS in 1920 and died in 1944.

The funds will be used for financial aid beginning this year, according to Michael J. Chmura, spokesperson for the Law School.

"Sam Rudner was one of our most distinguished and among our most loyal graduates," said HLS Dean Robert C. Clark in a press release. "His family's generosity will benefit students today and for years to come."

Sam Rudner received his undergraduate degree in economics from the University of Pennsylvania in 1924. While at HLS, Rudner was an editor of the Harvard Law Review.

Sam Rudner practiced law in a New Jersey office of his brother Louis' firm, Katzenbach Gildea & Rudner.

Rudner also served as chair of the Character Committee and member of the Ethics Committee of the New Jersey Supreme Court.