Harvard Breaks Away

* Students escape exams and head for snow, sun--theses

By Kris J. Thiessen, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

For many students, the end of exams today means a chance to extend the short winter break and think about something besides their classes and the mean of the econometrics exam.

Intercession travel destinations include skiing in New Hampshire, the SuperBowl in San Diego, the beaches of Florida and the Caribbean--and even London--thanks to cheap post-holiday airline fares.

"Students tend to go to the islands, Cancun, the Bahamas, home to Europe and some to Florida," said Pierre Keledjian, part-owner of Intercontinental Travel, Ltd., located in the lobby of the Charles Hotel.

Even with the mild winter, some students are headed for the ski slopes.

"We've got six people, and we're going to stay at my house in North Hampton," Robin S. Goldstein '98 said of his ski trip with roommates. "We're then going to drive up to Killington and probably stay one night."

Sunny beaches are another popular option for students wanting to get away from Cambridge.

"I'm going to Sanibel Island, Florida, with my three roommates, and we're going to stay at my roommate's place there," said Elizabeth E. Schiamberg '99. "We were going to go on a cruise, but my mother was afraid the boat was going to sink."

For Rima Al-Mokarrab '00, it wasn't a sinking ship but diplomatic paperwork that blocked her departure for far-away lands.

Al-Mokarrab was planning to go to London with her roommates over intersession because "the fares were insanely cheap, and we decided we wanted to change continents for a few days."

But the trip fell apart "because everyone's passports failed them." Al-Mokarrab needed a visa, another roommate's passport had expired and her other roommate couldn't find her passport at all.

"And this is after we made all the plans," Al-Mokarrab said. "We had the tickets reserved for $99 each way and were supposed to buy them," but their plans fell apart first.

Ticket fares like the $99 fare to London Al-Mokarrab had booked lure many students away, and this year, there are more bargains available than usual.

"Prices are a little lower than last year. PanAm has just entered the market, and everyone wants to compete," Keledjian said.

"The rates the [airlines] did have on sale did expire [yesterday]. They had great deals to London--$300, in some cases $200, round trip."

So what if you decided to get a ticket this morning, to leave yet today?

"Subject to space availability and that prices if you left on the same day would be outrageous, you would probably fly standby."

But even if Al-Mokarrab and her roommates never get out of Cambridge, they're sure to have company.

Many seniors, with theses and job hunts nagging all through the exam period, are choosing to stick around Cambridge over the break.

"I'm going to try to get two chapters done, but maybe I'll get as far as home in New York," said Steven R. Hill '98, an Adams House resident