Two Prominent Alumni Die; Both Held Academic Posts

By Sarah E. Reckhow, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Two Harvard alumni who served as administrators at area universities died last week.

Both educators earned doctorates at the University.

Ralph L. Mosher, 70, died of Parkinson's disease on Oct. 9 at the Stone Institute, a nursing home in Newton.

Mosher graduated from the University with a doctorate in education in 1964.

He was the former chair of the department of counseling education at Boston University (B.U.).

Paul H. Flint '30, a former dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences at Tufts University, died Oct. 5 at his home in Bedford. He was 90. Flint earned his masters degree at Harvard.

Ralph L. Mosher

Mosher's colleagues at BU said he was highly respected for both his work and character.

"He was a truly extraordinary teacher, scholar and gentleman," said Roselmina Indrisano, chair of the B.U. Department of Developmental Studies and Counseling.

"He was an outstanding scholar. We were very proud to have him on our faculty," said B.U. Professor of Education Mary H. Shann.

A member of the faculty at Harvard's Graduate School of Education until 1972, Mosher also served as a consultant in the Brookline and Watertown school systems.

Mosher's awards include the Massachusetts Psychological Association's Award for distinguished teaching in psychology and the American Association for Moral Education's Kuhmerker Award for "distinguished contributions and committed national leadership in the field of moral and psychological education."

Born in Pittsburgh and raised in Wolfeville, Nova Scotia, Mosher earned his bachelor's and master's degrees at Acadia University.

Two of his daughters, Pamela J. Mosher and J. Suzanne Mosher '91, are Eliot House tutors.

There is a memorial service today at noon in Marsh Chapel at Boston University.

Paul H. Flint

Flint's 43 years of service at Tufts University began in 1930, when he served as a teaching fellow.

He joined the English faculty in 1935 and went on to serve as dean of the graduate school from 1960 until his retirement in 1973.

From 1956 to 1960 he held the position of director of the Tufts Workshop in Technical Writing.

During World War II, Flint served in the Navy. He was a member of the National Reserves until 1968. He is survived by a son, Paul Flint Jr., who currently lives in Alexandria, Va.

There will be a memorial service in Carleton-Willard Village in Bedford on Oct. 23 at 2 p.m.