Graham Is New Oratory Professor

By Tara L. Colon, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Pulitzer-Prize winning poet Jorie P. Graham will succeed Seamus Heaney as Boylston professor of rhetoric and oratory, continuing the recent tradition of noted poets holding the post.

Graham is currently a professor at the University of Iowa, working in the Writers Workshop division, which she explained is considered "the premier graduate program in the nation."

Graham said she is "surprised and very honored" at her selection as Boylston professor.

"This is literally like being asked to join a great dinner party that is already in progress," Graham said.

Members of the English department at Harvard said they were delighted that Graham would be joining the Harvard Faculty.

"Professor Graham will both ensure continuing distinction to our Creative Writing program and bring further strength to our department's poetry wing," said Lawrence Buell, chair of the English department.

Graham said she decided to come to Harvard because she believes that "a change is interesting in mid-life."

"I'm moving from one great institution to another great institution," she said. "The kinds of students that I'm going to have will be very different."

"I hope the change will be stimulating," she added.

English department members at the University of Iowa said they regret losing Graham to Harvard.

And Buell said Graham brings both experience and a world-renowned reputation to Harvard.

"As one of the foremost living poets in the English language, she will give us even greater international visibility as well as seasoned teaching and administrative expertise," said Buell, who is also Marquand professor of English.

Nicholas Boylston established the Boylston professorship of rhetoric and oratory in 1772. A committee of English department faculty nominates the candidate for Boylston professor.

Graham will arrive at Harvard next fall. During the spring semester, she will take a leave from Harvard to continue her work at Iowa.

Graham plans to offer writing workshops inpoetry as well as courses in the study of poetry.

Graham received the Pulitzer in 1996 for a bookof her poetry entitled The Dream of the UnifiedField.

In addition to winning the Pulitzer Prize,Graham has also received the Lavan Award, aMacArthur Fellowship and a grant from the NationalEndowment for the Arts