Leverett HAND Sponsors Skating Event

By Sadie H. Sanchez, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

More than 2,500 local parents and school children filled the Bright Hockey Center yesterday afternoon for Skate Fest 1998.

The event, sponsored in part by Leverett House's House and Neighborhood Development Program (HAND), raises money for the Cambridge and Somerville Salvation Army's Ourplace, a daycare for homeless children.

Twenty-three members of the Boston Skating Club provided the entertainment for the benefit.

Now in its sixth year, Skate Fest provides a good deal of the funding for Ourplace.

Major Stephen Carroll, the commanding officer of the Cambridge and Somerville Salvation Army, said that the event will bring in more than $40,000 this year, a considerable increase from last year's total of $29,000.

Leverett House's HAND program raises money for their projects by selling refreshments during the event. Between 12 and 15 Leverett students volunteered for this "one-shot" activity said Amy Chung '98, Leverett HAND coordinator.

HAND puts the profits from such events right back into their programs, which include apple-picking, holiday parties, mentoring and tutoring for local school children.

According to Leverett tutor and community service sponsor Jennifer Morrill, Leverett HAND should net as much as $800 from their efforts at this event, the same amount as last year.

"Leverett House has a strong tradition of public service," said Judy Murciano-Goroff, Leverett's senior Tutor.

Murciano-Goroff said that in addition to obtaining the space for the event and running the concessions, Leverett HAND hosts a post-performance reception for the skaters and their families in the Leverett Junior Common Room.

The reception is a way to "salute" the performers and allow other Leverett students to see how active and exciting HAND really is, she added.

Morrill said that Skate Fest is part of a "positive reciprocal relationship" between HAND and the Salvation Army.

Morrill also said that the students do most of the work while she and Leverett tutor Elena Paolini provide many necessities like vehicle transportation and "moral support."

Skate Fest was begun as a way of departing from the "saturated" fundraiser market of its type besides the Jimmy Fund's Evening with Champions, which is sponsored by Eliot House.

Chung said the show is a great event where "everyone benefits."

"It is a unique fundraiser. Most folks love it."

A Leverett HAND volunteer, Pouneh K. Fazeli '98, said that HAND was "really excited to be a part of this event for the sixth year and hopes to continue [HAND's] relationship [with the Salvation Army] and the skating show."

Ourplace, which is located in Central Square, is the first licensed daycare center of its kind in Massachusetts and probably in the United States, Carroll said.

Currently there are 26 children, ages three months to five-and-a-half years, who are using the facilities.

The Salvation Army solicits corporate sponsorship in Cambridge, Somerville, Watertown, Belmont and Arlington. These sponsors buy the tickets to the event and then donate a great majority of them to the area elementary schools. Most of these companies have supported the benefit since its inception.

Besides the sponsors, there are over 200 volunteers who work together in order to make Skate Fest such a "phenomenal" success, Carroll said.

These volunteers include senior citizens, the Salvation Army advisory board, Cambridge Partnership for Education and Leverett House students.

The ice skaters also volunteer their time to make the hour-and-a-half-long event possible. The skaters do not always get to perform in front of an appreciative crowd and without judges.

Leverett House Master John E. Dowling '57 said the event also gives aspiring athletes a chance to demonstrate their skills by showcasing skaters who are "on their way up."