Webcrawler Wins HSA Entrepreneurial Contest

By India F. Landrigan, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Harvard Student Agencies (HSA) last night awarded Michael W. Itagaki '97 the $5,000 grand prize in the First Annual HSA Let's Grow Entrepreneurial Contest.

The announcement was made at HSA's annual Hail and Farewell Dinner, which this year also celebrated the organization's 40th birthday.

The dinner was held at the Sheraton Commander, and the guests included many former HSA presidents, all present HSA managers and President Neil L. Rudenstine.

In addition to the cash prize, Itagaki won a one-week internship at Fidelity Investments, the primary sponsor of the contest, for his project entitled "Ereap".

Itagaki may also receive $10,000 in seed capital to fund his idea if Fidelity Investments deems the project commercially viable.

According to Itagaki, Ereap is a Webcrawler designed to "help businesses decrease the amount of unsolicited email they send," Itagaki said. "Email could be a powerful marketing tool if it's used responsibly."

First runners-up in the contest were Robert W. Martin '99 and Rachel Perez '99, who were awarded $1000 cash for their project entitled "Campus Direct." The Martin-Perez proposal outlined plans for a computer program that would match students to recruiting companies.

Second runner-up Christian T. Rudder '98 won $500 for his project "Simple Stocks," a computer program designed to help consultants clarify their clients' stock information.

The award announcements were made by C. Bruce Johnstone '64, who represented Fidelity. Before announcing the results of the contest, Johnstone spoke of the impressive collection of entries.

"If Bill Gates had been entered into this contest, he would not have even become a finalist," he said.

The contest was designed to foster entrepreneurial spirit and reward potentially successful, profitable businesses, in keeping with the HSA goal of creating jobs for students in need of financial assistance.

Proposed businesses ranged from a translation service for businesses with international interests to a system that would allow students to access the equivalentof Cliff's Notes online.

At last night's dinner, which celebrated thecomplete turnover in managerial positions at HSA,the organization's new President, Catherine J.Turco '99, spoke of her plans for the coming year.

"Because of the 100 percent annual turnover ofleadership positions, it's understandably hard tomaintain a long-term focus, so developing astrategic plan for the future will be a primarygoal for this year," Turco said.

A mix of eager students and successfulentrepreneurs, guests were well-versed in theircorporate thank-yous and handshakes.

Honorees were awarded HSA fleece jackets, Whichlater became the dance-floor uniform.

Over the past decades, HSA has grown to abusiness which employs one in every fiveundergraduates, and pays $1.5 million in salaryannually.

The organization is presently the world'slargest student-run corporation, encompassing 11agencies, including its subsidiary Let's Go Inc.

Along with the advent of the HSAEntrepreneurial Contest, the 40th anniversarymarks HSA's first year in their new residence at67 Mount Auburn Street in Burke-McCoy Hall.

The move cost a reported $4 million, butaccording to outgoing HSA president Amit A. Tiwari'98, HSA needed "to avoid the rising rents ofHarvard Square and find a permanent home.