Tigers Just Too Talented

By Benjamin O. Shuldiner, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Two nights ago the Harvard men's basketball team lost to the 11th-ranked Princeton Tigers. The Crimson played with desire, drive and want. Yet, these inner motivating forces paled in comparison to the skill, talent and size of its opponent.

Harvard played a solid game. It played a physical defense and had a relatively productive offense. It just was not enough to force Princeton to lose its composure. Never once did Princeton move away from their seamless, Pete Carril-invented system.

Against a normal Ivy League adversary, shooting 50 percent from the field would be impressive, almost ensuring a victory. In this game it was enough to lose only by 28 points and to avoid a game filled with garbage time and security guards escorting fans from their seats.

At each position Harvard was outmanned. The Tigers were bigger, faster, and more talented. Yet this is not to say that the game was without its bright moments for the Crimson.

Off the bench, Bill Ewing lead all Harvard scorers with 12 points and shot a perfect 7-for-7 from the field. He also crashed the boards, ripping down a game-high six rebounds.

Other highlights were a powerful break-away slam-dunk by Mike Scott that sent the crowd into a huge uproar. The dunk also pulled the Crimson to within 14 with 14 minutes to play. Yet this spark was quickly dashed out by a nine-point run by Princeton.

At no point in the game did Harvard lead. With more than eight minutes to go in the first half the Tigers stretched their lead to double digits, and never let the Crimson within 10 again.

By halftime the lead had ballooned to 20 and the second half was merely a formality. Reserves, sophomore guard Donnie Dean and freshman forward Chris Lewis, were going to get their chance to play as would Princeton's very full bench.

The Tigers carried 15 players to the game and all but one saw action.

Many of the Princeton players have played together for four years, including two years under the system designer, former Princeton coach Carril. The team played in sync with each other. They were experienced and calm.

No matter what Harvard threw at it, Princeton always had an answer. When Harvard threw man-to-man, Princeton exploited the four position where they were far superior. When Harvard played zone, the Tigers would get openings on the perimeter and bury the three-pointer.

When Harvard was on offense, it was the same scenario. Harvard tried and Princeton foiled.