College Cancels Casino Nights Citing Statute

HoCos learn that city law prohibits 'games of chance'

By Jessica H. Fong, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Harvard students who were hoping to try their luck at the roulette wheel without leaving campus may have to change their plans and catch the next bus for Atlantic City.

Plans for the upcoming Lowell House Casino Night were shut down after the Cambridge License Commissioner ruled that the event would violate a city ordinance prohibiting "games of chance."

The Lowell House Committee had organized a party for Lowell residents and their guests, to be held on Friday, April 17.

The theme was to be a revival of Lowell House's past tradition of an annual casino night, said Lisa M. Mignone '98, Lowell House Committee co-chair.

Quincy House Committee had scheduled a similar event for April 4, which was also canceled. Both events were dances that featured live jazz bands and casino games.

The events came under scrutiny after Harvard officials saw advertisements on campus, said Susan Cooke, coordinator of student activities at Harvard.

Cooke said parties on campus are divided into five types, each governed by specific rules.

The events proposed by the Lowell and Quincy House Committees fell in categories that require entertainment licenses from the City of Cambridge.

However, public events involving "games of chance"--typical casino games in which only luck is involved--have been prohibited in Cambridge since 1991, Cooke said.

In an interview yesterday, Dean of Students Archie C. Epps, III, quoted the Cambridge City code, "Absolutely under no circumstances are casino nights, Las Vegas nights, or any other type of gambling allowed" in the city of Cambridge.

Mignone and Carla P. Kovacs '99, Quincy House Committee chair, expressed surprise and disappointment at the cancellation of their respective House events.

The Quincy House Committee was aware that Cambridge prohibits "gambling events", but believed that the Quincy Casino Night did not qualify as one because monetary prizes would not be awarded.

"We didn't realize that 'games of chance' were prohibited, even when no one was going to win or lose money," Kovacs said.

The events would have been cleared if they did not charge entrance fees, but organizers said that the entrance fees were necessary to partially cover their costs.

"We were either going to lose money or just break even," Mignone said.

Plans for the Lowell Casino Night wereinitiated before winter break. They were supportedby the Lowell House Masters and the House SeniorCommon Room--whose members had agreed to act asdealers for the night--as well as the students,according to Katherine A. Hamm '99, Lowell HouseCommittee co-chair.

Citing queries by Dean Epps' office, after thedeath of M.I.T. first-year Scott Krueger lastfall, on the state of social activities at Harvardand at Lowell House, Mignone said she was"particularly surprised by these recent events anddevelopments."

"I feel that [Casino Night] demonstrates thespirit of amusement and merriment and theintegration LoHoCo had hoped to achieve," Mignonesaid.

Two years ago, a casino night held by the AsianAmerican Association was investigated by theCharitable Gaming Division of the MassachusettsState Lottery.

"Similar events have been proposed this yearand have not been granted permission by ouroffice," Cooke said