GSAS Student Assaulted Walking on Kirkland Street

Suspect was sighted earlier this year

By Nanaho Sawano, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

A graduate student was the victim of an indecent assault last Thursday morning, according to a community advisory issued by the Cambridge Police Department that day.

The graduate student was walking down Kirkland Street toward Trowbridge Street when she was approached by an individual asking for $.85, the release said.

The student, apologizing, refused to give him the money and walked on. About 100 yards down the road, in front of 70 Kirkland St., the individual came from behind, put his hand under her dress and pushed her, according to the police advisory.

The suspect is described as a 6'1" black male between 18 to 20 years of age with a medium complexion, a medium build and short dark hair.

The advisory referred to another complaint against the suspect that alleged he solicited another individual for money that same Thursday morning.

Peggy Mc Namara, Harvard University Police Department spokesperson, said the suspect was sighted soliciting $.85 on Cambridge Street in early January.

McNamara said there have been no further reports of assaults by the suspect.

"It's very difficult to pinpoint where he might be," McNamara said.

Because the incident occurred on a city street, McNamara said that the investigation is currently being carried out by the Cambridge Police.

Officials from the Cambridge Police Department did not return calls yesterday.

At the time of the assault, the suspect was reported as neatly dressed, wearing a Gortex-type green length rain jacket and light blue jeans. He had a dark colored oval backpack on his back.

Anyone with information pertaining to this incident or other reports or sightings of the suspect is asked to contact the Cambridge Police Department.