Select Study Dens Draw Students

By Kelly M. Yamanouchi, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

As finals draw near, Lamont's reading room becomes more crowded, and students seek out their own study niches in or around the University.

"It can get pretty busy," said Daniel J. Rhodes '01, who works at Lamont, of library study spaces during reading period. "It's hard to come by a table by yourself."

Contrary to the belief of many Yardlings, there are many libraries other than Lamont and Widener which offer undergrads quiet spaces for study. Graduate schools in particular, which don't follow the same schedule as the College, are much quieter and less crowded during reading period.

The Fine Arts library is one possible destination for students looking for a peaceful atmosphere. Located in the Fogg Museum, the library remains a crammer's dream. As Darin N. Stephanov '98, a librarian in the Fine Arts library, said, "Few people so far have discovered it."

Some undergraduates have already begun to frequent other graduate libraries.

"Sometimes I like to study in Gutman library at the Ed School because when I need a break I can read kids' books," Caroline A. Rothert '00 said. "Also, it's quiet and underutilized--I don't think most people know about it."

Like most of the graduate libraries, Gutman is rarely crowded during reading period.

"If Lamont is crowded, they can certainly come over here and study," said Robert Gomez, a librarian at Gutman.

The Loeb Library, in Gund Hall, is also a popular study space.

"They have really large tables and there aren't usually a lot of people there," said Jessica R. Taylor '99.

Sometimes the atmosphere in graduate libraries can even increase study efficiency.

"I feel inspired by all these overachieving, accomplished students," said Nikhil Chandra '99-'00, who often studies at graduate school libraries.

Chandra said he also frequents local fast-food restaurants to vary his library study routine.

"I prefer studying at Burger King because I really need to eat while I study," Chandra said.

But for those without fast-food meccas nearby, there are a number of low-key library nooks where the mood is usually more relaxed than Lamont reading room. These include Morse Music Library in the penthouse of Hilles Library, (a popular destination for Quadlings during reading period) and Langdell Law Library.

"Everything's new [at Langdell] and it's just a lot nicer than Cabot--it's like a dungeon in there," said Gwen Y. Shen '00.

"I like to study in the lobby in the Carpenter Center," said S. Andrew Martin '98. "The building has a far different energy...it's a definite breath of fresh air."

The Kennedy School Library is spacious and has resources that include Lexus/Nexus, vending machines, easily skimmable periodicals and about 40 individual study booths.

"It's never really crowded," said May H. Li '00, who works at the Kennedy School Library.

For math and science concentrators, Jason E. Bressner '99 suggests Pierce Hall classrooms. "It's quiet...They have those blackboards, and you can write out stuff." But hard-core crammers beware: a key is required to enter the building at night.