King of the Hill

By Jill Kou

From the TV set to local music stores, "King of the Hill" continues to find new ways to infiltrate American lives. The soundtrack to Mike Judge's Texas-based animated series includes artists such as the Barenaked Ladies, Travis Tritt with George Thorogood, Brooks and Dunn and Faith Hill. While I'm admittedly not a big fan of the show, the album has a nice blend of country and rock that gives the album both a kick and a relaxing groove at the same time. Despite the combination of artists, the music in the album still manages to flows nicely from one track to the next.

The first single off the album, the Barenaked Ladies' "Get In Line," is still good despite being hyped up endlessly on the show. The soundtrack also includes Tritt and Thorogood's "Move It On Over," which can be heard over country radio stations. In between the tracks, the voices of Hank, Bobby and other characters from "King of the Hill" provide narrative relief from the music, connecting the various rock and country groups. All in all, a fun album to listen to; if I had the choice, I would prefer to have the soundtrack infiltrate American homes rather than the TV show. B+