The Active Voice: Students at the Head of the Class

By Dafna V. Hochman, Crimson Staff Writer

What's the difference between consonance and assonance? Can someone point out a metaphor in Stephen Crane's poem? It is first block English class at Cambridge Rindge and Latin High School (CRLHS) as about 20 juniors try to get psyched about English literature perhaps only minutes after rolling out of bed.

In the front of the classroom, "Mr. Arribas" discusses today's poem with enthusiasm, urging the students to analyze and personalize Crane's use of figurative language. Soon, even the sleepiest students are volunteering to read aloud and to offer their own interpretations. By day, "Mr. Arribas" commands the respect and attention of these teenagers. By night, he doubles as Lucas Arribas Layton'00, an English concentrator living in Adams House.

Each weekday morning since early September, Layton has arisen before 7 a.m. He spends these days student teaching freshman and junior English classes at CRLHS. He then returns to Harvard to take classes from 4 to 6 p.m.

Layton's friends, accustomed to seeing him in running shorts, would hardly recognize him in his grown-up attire. Each morning, he dons a tie and dress coat, walks briskly to the high school and, voila!, quickly transforms from Luke to Mr. Arribas with super-man celerity. It's not just the clothes--his whole attitude seems to change.

During the day, in between the classes that Layton officially teaches, he observes his mentor-teacher, prepares lesson plans and meets with students.

Layton is one of only eight students currently teaching in Boston-area high schools and middle schools as the culmination of Harvard's Undergraduate Teacher Education Program (UTEP). Layton will graduate in June with a degree in English as well as certification to teach secondary school English in public schools.

The requirements of the program are few; students must take one half course in psychology, two half courses in educational methodology, an observation semester and complete 12 weeks of student teaching. But few Harvard students opt to participate.

According to UTEP Director Lissa Hodder, the Harvard undergraduates currently student teaching--in schools ranging from Martin Luther King Open Middle School to Watertown High School--handle their dual roles of student and teacher with ease. They write theses, apply for fellowships and manage the normal senior year stress.

But if you happen to run into Layton at Lamont, he is most likely not looking up a reserve reading. Rather, he is probably brushing up on Robert Frost or Walt Whitman in preparation for tomorrow's class. Or, he is grading the homework assignments and quizzes that he designs for his students.

Although stress is a constant in our lives, student teaching UTEP-ers deal with a different type of time constraint. Imagine combining high school hours (7 a.m. until 3 p.m.) with college responsibilities. The greatest challenge to UTEP-ers is making time for their friends, who follow drastically different schedules.

But after only an hour sitting transfixed in Mr. Arribas' English class this week, his talent for teaching becomes evident. And, while all of us might stress over the run-of-the-mill response paper, Layton's efforts actually affect the lives of 20 other people.

We all cry, whine and moan about the state of American public education. Why, then, do so few students choose to do something about it? To many of us, who have found our niche in the classroom, teaching seems like the obvious and easiest way to give back.

Some students shy away from even the minimal UTEP requirements (I thought it would conflict with my thesis). Most, though, have barely heard about the program. UTEP is only briefly publicized during our first year and then often never heard about again.

This reflects a sly institutional culture that emphasizes some programs, ambitions, goals and dreams over others. This culture often trickles down, affecting what programs, classes and even careers are in vogue. It also reveals Harvard's bias against professional preparation.

This year, only 69 undergraduates are enrolled in UTEP. The dedicated men and women come from concentrations as varied as government, math and religion.

The program remains obscure because of the obvious but painful truth about teaching that we do not like to admit. In a world where income largely determines a person's prestige, teaching cannot compete. But in truth, it is one of the most valuable professions.

I am a hopeful optimist when it comes to the pure ideals of Harvard students. Just take a look at how many of our classmates spend their afternoons in Roxbury or Mattapan tutoring, teaching or running an after-school program. Students here are willing and eager to give of their minds and energies. As long as teaching remains just an extracurricular activity.

Unfortunately, other activities such as a publication, Harvard Student Agencies, and even a musical performance group can direct students towards their career path. For some reason, Harvard students are often not similarly inspired by their pedagogical experiences.

If the value and prestige of various professions were based only on the level of individual impact, then teaching would be considered one of the most prestigious and valued professions.

"You're smart, man, you're on," Mr. Arribas said to each student individually, as they filed past him to hand in their homework. The encouragement brought a smile to each student's face.

Instead of bowing to societal estimations of value, Harvard students should lead the way, setting the trend in placing value on under- appreciated professions. The UTEP-ers are likely to be in the front ranks.