Cable Installation Complete

By Christopher C. Pappas, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Administrators have followed up on their promise to install cable television hook-ups in House common rooms, a move that is being cheered by students seeking entertainment and escape from the rigors of study.

Cable jacks were put in place in two common areas of each House, as well as in a handful of first-year dormitories, according to College officials.

The project was an initiative of former Undergraduate Council president Beth A. Stewart '00, who worked on the project with council officers during her term.

The plan to install cable jacks was finalized in November with the backing of Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68.

By the beginning of reading period, two common rooms in Lowell were furnished with cable outlets, according to Lowell House Superintendent James Coveney.

Students across campus are now praising the new service.

Although Eliot House Committee Chair Robert S. Schwartz '00 said only one television in his House has been hooked up, he described students as pleased with its installation.

While many students across campus are just beginning to enjoy the new cable access, Pforzheimer and Currier residents have had common room hook-ups for years.

Pforzheimer House Committee Chair Ryan A. Riess '99 said he and his house-mates have enjoyed the service during their entire three years in the House.

Riess said cable has fostered a sociable atmosphere in the common rooms, and that many students look forward to athletic events on cable's many sports channels.

"[The House] is a very social place after dinner and late at night," Riess said. "A lot of people like to watch college and pro basketball games on cable."

Many students are now wondering whether cable privileges will be extended to individual suites.

Stewart has suggested that the recent installations are a step that could eventually lead to universal cable access.

However Lewis said in an e-mail message that the administration has no plans to provide every room with a cable connection.

"Quite aside from the policy question of whether cable to each room is desirable it would be a very costly undertaking right now as it would require major interior wiring changes, including substantial rewiring in buildings that are very historic," Lewis said.

Still, Lewis said he believes the current common room access has been "well-received."