Sen. Feingold Fights for Finance Reform

By John P. Posch, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Soft money contributions are "making a mockery of the principle of one man, one vote," Sen. Russell Feingold (D-Wisc.), told a crowd of over 100 last night in a speech urging campaign finance reform.

Speaking at the Kennedy School of Government's ARCO Forum, Feingold spelled out what he saw as the problem in campaign financing and outlined his current bill that proposes campaign finance reform, which he is sponsored with John McCain (R-Ariz.)

The forum, titled, "Legalized Bribery: Campaign Financing at the Turn of the Century," was sponsored by the Kennedy School's Democratic Caucus and the Student Advisory Committee of the Institute of Politics (IOP).

Feingold gained notice during the 1996 Senate election for refusing to accept soft money and just barely winning against aggressive opponents. As a senator, he has a reputation for promoting campaign finance reform.

Feingold said that since he first became a senator in 1982 his philosophy of campaign finance has shifted from a "Wisconsin-style idealism of fairness" to "legalized bribery."

He cited several examples of increasing pressure on politicians to raise campaign money, from his own campaigns for senator to the soft money contributions of the telecommunications, electrical and food industry in the recent "banana war" with Europe.

Invoking the legacy of populist Wisconsin politician, Robert M. LaFollette, Feingold said the "very few with the resources should not control the political process."

Feingold said there is a "new force" in American politics, which is a "proliferation of virtually unregulated campaign contributions."

He said he was worried that the pressures of campaign financing may discourage would-be politicians and distracts current politicians from doing their duties.

"It is destroying the ability to focus on your work," he said.

These days, he said, there are two types of person who might viably be senators: the "incumbent at lower levels" and the "independently wealthy" candidate.

Former Wyoming Republican Senator Alan K. Simpson delivered the opening remarks and moderated a question-and-answer session that followed the speech.

Simpson, also IOP director, described Feingold as a "scrapper" and a "very thoughtful, steady, direct, persistent man."

Professor of Government Michael J. Sandel formally introduced Feingold.

The two met at Oxford University as Rhodes scholars and have been friends since. Sandel praised Feingold for braving a senatorial campaign without soft money as well as confronting what he called the "biggest problem in politics--lack of courage."

During the question-and-answer session, one audience member pointed out that some have attacked on the McCain-Feingold bill because they say it violates. First Amendment rights. Simpson said he was "appalled" at this suggestion and Feingold defended his bill, saying "Our bill does not prevent anyone from saying anything at any time."

Simpson closed the speech with encouraging words for his former colleague.

"You're on the right track. You'll get 'em educated. You'll get it done," he said.