State Decertifies Programs at CRLS

By Andrew S. Holbrook, Crimson Staff Writer

Citing safety violations, inadequate curriculum and uncertified teachers, state auditors have cancelled or placed on probation all of the vocational education programs at Cambridge Rindge and Latin School (CRLS), according to a report released yesterday.

The state decertified the electrical and graphic arts programs, since neither had a qualified teacher when auditors came in October. CRLS had no electrical teacher at the time, although one was hired soon after. And the graphic arts teacher was not certified in graphic arts.

Cambridge Superintendent of Schools Bobbie J. D'Alessandro called the news "devastating" and "staggering." She said the audit uncovered major problems, including safety measures that are "not in control."

"I had no idea it was so significant across all curriculum areas," she said.

School committee member Alfred B. Fantini called it "one of the worst reports I've ever read."

The state also placed the automotive, carpentry, computer, culinary, drafting and electronics programs on probation. The ninth-grade technical arts survey--the only other vocational program at CRLS--had already been placed on probation last year.

Accreditation brings $100,000 in state aid to technical arts programs at CRLS. And in order to get many jobs, students need to have gone through a state-certified program in their field.

Although education officials had expected the report to identify some infractions, the audit was unexpectedly severe and widespread in its criticisms.

Most programs fell "well below acceptable standards," according to the audit, which was conducted by state education officials and vocational teachers from other school districts.

According to the audit, the carpentry department is missing safety plans and protective devices for some of its equipment. The automotive department has no plans for disposing of hazardous waste.

CRLS' vocational programs lack effective guidance counseling, adequate space and proper curriculum and benchmarks for testing students, according to the audit. The school also does not devote nearly enough time to training students for their trades, the report said.

Cambridge will now have to submit quarterly progress reports to the state documenting fixes for each violation.

If another check-up next spring finds ongoing problems, the state will decertify the programs and CRLS will have to drop those course offerings, according to the audit.

Cambridge will also have to reapply to the state before the revoked electric and graphic arts programs are recertified.

The report followed a severe blow delivered last year to vocational education at CRLS.

After the ninth grade survey course was decertified, district officials decided to start sending incoming ninth-grade students who wanted instruction in technical arts to the Minuteman Regional Technical Academy, a private vocational school.

Despite the potential ramifications of the audit, Thomas Lividoti, acting director of vocational education at CRLS, downplayed the report's findings and ramifications.

"I don't think it's too bad," he said. "I think everything in there is fixable and won't cost too much."

The violations mostly represented "things we've gotten lax on," such as maintaining program advisory committees of parents, students and professionals for each technical art, he said.

But D'Alessandro is taking a less laid-back response.

She said she would hire five consultants from the New England School Development Council to work for the next six weeks with vocational teachers at CRLS.

D'Alessandro expressed confidence that teachers could fix the problems but said CRLS' vocational education programs need outside supervision to meet state standards.

"They'd better be able to meet those expectations," she said. "There aren't going to be any choices."

Lividoti said he has begun already to correct minor infractions, like school officials using the automotive workshop as a parking area.

Though he agreed the audit was accurate, Lividoti said he takes issue with some of the requirements, which are dictated by state law.

"There's a couple of things we do that aren't by the books, but I'm going to fight like hell to keep them," he said.

For example, the audit said the computer repair division of the electronics program did not satisfy curriculum guidelines. But computer repair is a lucrative field where students could find high-paying jobs, Lividoti said.