Cambridge Renews Manager's Contract

By Imtiyaz H. Delawala, Crimson Staff Writer

The Cambridge City Council extended the contract of Cambridge City Manager Robert W. Healy at a meeting last night, continuing his tenure as the longest serving manager in Cambridge history.

Healy serves as the non-elected chief executive of Cambridge's government, responsible for the day to day management of the city. Healy served as deputy city manager for seven years before becoming city manager in 1981.

The council voted unanimously to extend Healy's contract until June 2003, while also increasing his salary to $164,500, a nearly 11 percent increase from his current pay.

Healy's current contract was set to expire on Dec. 31. But under current city rules, his contract would have been automatically renewed without council action, which is what has happened since 1997.

But councillors decided this year to overhaul the city manager evaluation process instead of letting his contract be renewed automatically. Councillors created a formal questionnaire for council members to use in personal discussions with Healy to evaluate his performance and scheduled last night's meeting to discuss his performance.

"We owe it to the city to stand up and say we either support or don't support him," councillor David P. Maher said.

But despite a commitment to increased evaluation, several councillors criticized the procedure of last night's meeting, complaining the group had established no formal guidelines to discuss Healy's status.

The meeting was not placed on the council agenda until last week, and many councillors said they were unclear whether they were gathering to evaluate Healy's performance or renegotiate his contract.

"We have not created a framework for discussion based on the evaluation that the council labored over," councillor Marjorie C. Decker said.

"My dispute is we put all this time and effort into the evaluation process. I hope it it's not just dropped into a black hole," Decker added.

Despite the confusion about the purpose of last night's meeting, the council did move to renew Healy's contract, with most councillors praising the job he has done as city manager.

The council commended Healy's fiscal responsibility, as well as his leadership in strengthening affordable housing and city services.

"His stability in leadership has been outstanding," Maher said.

Councillor Jim Braude said Healy has done well in handling the pressure of his job, which often includes criticism from the council.

"I think the city manager has done a good job in difficult circumstances," Braude said.

During the period reserved for public comment, Cambridge Chamber of Commerce President Thomas J. Lucey praised Healy for strengthening business relations during his tenure.

"He does an outstanding job in balancing interests between businesses and the community," Luce said.

Healy thanked the council for its approval.

"I'm proud to continue working as a part of this community," Healy said.