Adams House Exudes Excess, Aristocracy

By Elizabeth A. Gudrais, Crimson Staff Writer

Adams House residents uphold a long tradition of smug confidence in the superiority of their House.

In 1900 and 1902, the two divisions of Westmorely Court were built for the select portion of undergraduates affluent enough to buy their way out of the dorms into luxury apartments.

The early residents of the Bow Street building were the first Harvard students to have heat and running water.

Although the rest of the dorms have since caught up to Adams in those respects, they still can't hold a candle to the excess of Adams.

Its aristocratic origins are apparent in the working fireplace in each room, the lavishly high ceilings, and the original marble in Westmorely's staircases.

Each room is also unique. Most rooms share the same overall architecture each room also contains hidden gems. One may have a floor-to-ceiling bay window; another, a balcony; a third, both east- and west-facing windows.

And unlike some Houses, Adams offers a variety of rooming configurations--from posh senior singles to the mixed-gender quint in C-entry--which allow students flexibility in their rooming and blocking decisions.

One of the drawbacks to the House's grand architecture is its long staircases--the House has no elevators--and the House's high ceilings make for long walks. The narrow spiral staircases in Randolph Hall, the building between Linden and Plympton Streets, also make it a difficult to carry items such as couches and futons up to the fourth floor.

But these difficulties are a small price to pay for life in the lap of luxury.

When one adds to the equation great events such as the Halloween Masquerade, the Winter Swing and the Spring Waltz, as well as convenience and a superb dining hall, who could ask for anything more?

--Elizabeth A. Gudrais