Physics Department Tenures Marcus

By Keramet A. Reiter, Contributing Writer

Professor of Physics Charles M. Marcus, who is known for his research in quantum mechanics, was recently tenured by the Physics Department.

Marcus, who taught at Stanford after doing postdoctoral research at Harvard, is currently teaching Physics 270, "Experiments and Ideas in Mesoscopic Physics"--his first class at Harvard.

"It's an awesome class and he's a great teacher," Adam E. Cohen '01, a student in the class, wrote in an e-mail message.

"I was delighted that Harvard was able to convince Charlie Marcus to come here from Stanford," said David R. Nelson, chair of the physics department.

Marcus' colleagues at Harvard praised him for his teaching ability, which they say contributed to his selection.

"[Marcus] has a reputation as an excellent teacher, which was an important consideration," Nelson said.

Marcus received a teaching award while he was a professor at Stanford, according to Eric J. Heller, professor of chemistry and physics at Harvard.

"Charlie Marcus is a fantastic addition to the physics department," said Heller, who knew Marcus when he was a postdoctoral student at Harvard. "He's one of the premier researchers in nanoscale technology and mesoscopic physics."

Marcus' research involves work with electron motion and submicron electronic devices, which have applications to computing information and technology.

"Charlie has made important advances to our knowledge of quantum chaos," said McKay Professor of Applied Physics Robert M. Westervelt, who was Marcus' Ph.D. research adviser at Harvard in 1990.

"I look forward to working with Charlie in developing new approaches for education and research at Harvard," Westervelt added.

The department decided to "attract Marcus away from Stanford last summer," Nelson said. Marcus had been an assistant professor of physics there.

Marcus was at a conference yesterday and unavailable for comment.