Harvard Sees Highest Yield Since the 1970s

By Michael L. Shenkman, Crimson Staff Writer

About 80 percent of students admitted to the Class of 2004 will attend Harvard, giving the College its highest yield since the early 1970s.

"We are extremely pleased that the College has again attracted so many extraordinarily talented students," said Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid William R. Fitzsimmons '67 in an interview yesterday.

As a result of particularly high yield, Fitzsimmons said only a handful of students on the College's "waiting list" will receive offers of admission.

Fitzsimmons credited the College's generous financial aid program and successful pre-frosh weekend as factors in Harvard's impressive yield, which is consistently the highest of the nation's selective colleges.

He said the opportunity for students to observe the campus--either during pre-frosh weekend or on independent visits--is extremely important.

"The main objective is to have them spend as much time as possible with other students, trying to learn about what it would be like here," Fitzsimmons said. "We want students to make the right decision--and for some it's not to come here."

Fitzsimmons said admissions officers are also in the final stages of deliberations on applications from transfer students.

He said about 65 transfers will be offered places in the fall and spring, and the committee hopes to mail decision letters by May 22.

And even before the final members of the Class of 2004 have been offered wait list spots, Harvard has already begun its recruiting efforts for the Class of 2005, with May visits planned to about 60 cities.

"We've written to 53,000 people for next year's recruiting and they are in the process of receiving their applications," Fitzsimmons said.